Cpanel Login

jberg

So, I know this isn't that important but...

Yesterday and in the past when I would login to Cpanel or Webmail I would get a pop-up window asking for my username/password. These were being saved in my password file so when I returned they would automatically populate and I would log in.

Today all of a sudden when I go to login to Cpanel or Webmail I don't get the pop-up window any longer and it just goes to the Cpanel Login page. So then I have to go dig up the username/password again (I have a lot of clients on TCH) and enter it. Ok, so not a big deal but a pain in my A@#. And I know it will save once I enter it once.

But, Just wondering what happened to the pop-up and did something change with the aliases www.domainname.com/cpanel or /webmail

Is it a change on TCH or something with my ISP?

I hate change... hehe

Thanks for any help.

Great, thanks for the replies. I think it is a change on TCH, because it happens to me on multiple computers, multiple browsers. And even got a couple calls from clients with the same issue.

I read something about Cpanel Login pop-ups:

"Disable Http Authentication for cPanel/WebMail/WHM Logins (forces cookie authentication.) This will help prevent certain types of XSRF attacks that rely on cached Http Auth credentials. If it is checked, it won't use HTTP Auth for logins."

So maybe it has to do with a Cpanel upgrade, or new security policies.

Oh well, I will just re-enter them as needed (ok, I'm lazy too). :lol:

Thanks.

So maybe it has to do with a Cpanel upgrade, or new security policies.

Hi jberg,

Sorry for the late reply and you nailed the reason why. This change was part of the recent cPanel update and its new security policies.

We know that sometimes these changes can be a real pita, but we do our best to insure we try to balance security with usabality.

I appreciate your feedback though and hope you don't kill us for the change. Please let us know anytime you have concerns, like, or don't like something. I can't promise we can always change something or even revert a change, but I assure we will listen with an open mind.

While I don't have hundreds or even dozens of clients, I do have hosting accounts through my reseller account with TCH, and several of those folks have contacted me about the constant typing in of the user name and password when using Horde. Some of them are long-time users of Horde with lots of folders and saved emails and they want to continue with Horde, but they don't want to have to sign in everytime they use it.

Also, at least one client lost her address book last week. I posted this to TCH Support where the empty address book was verified, but no reason was given. Maybe that is another side effect of the recent changes.

In addition, I don't seem to be able have the email contents show in any font other than Courier. I looked through the options for viewing mail and don't see any way to display mail as html. I don't use my Horde account much any more, so I am not sure what features may be gone, but I thought that I had been viewing as html for a while before I stopped accessing my mail through Horde.

Change can be positive, and, no doubt, this one has benefits, but it has a downside, too.

I just had a user complaint about the above-mentioned login screen instead of pop-up for RoundCube Webmail. Not so bad, but she also said over the past week she has quite often had to hit Refresh when the browser load finishes with a "Done", but the page is still blank. Could this be a timeout in RoundCube, or one of the new security issues mentioned above that is interacting poorly?

Especially important since the user is my wife.

Due to the numerous requests to revert the change in the log in method, I decided to review this issue further with the entire TCH team. We have determined that is no no real security implication compared to the cookie only method. Therefore we are currently restoring the old "pop up" method at this time.

Concerning issues with web mail, they are possible related to recent updates in the versions provided by cPanel, but are unrelated to the login changes. If you are still having issues with your web mail please drop a ticket in to us and we will dig deeper.

Thanks