Hosting Plan Updates?

mbakshi

Hi everyone,

Been with TCH for many years now- I have a Silver Plan for one of my main sites, which gives 2.4 GB of space. We continually hit up against that, and the other plans don't offer much more without significantly increasing cost. Even the Platinum ($25/mo) only has 6 GB.

The limited storage mean we need to host content (images and such) at some of my other domains (at other hosts providing much more space), which is a difficult setup to maintain.

TCH's plans don't seem to have changed in a long time, and while I expect to pay some premium for TCH service, we can't pay 10x more.

Are there any plans to modernize the shared hosting plans? We've been happy with TCH for the better part of a decade now, so I'd hate to be forced to change.

Thanks

Edited by mbakshi

Mbakshi: How much do you envisage you would require to be comfortable in terms of server space? Are you OK for bandwidth? An additional 1000MB in server space as an add-on is $2.50/month. So in this case it might be cheaper to tack on just the additional server space rather than upgrade to platinum.

TCH: This post has just made me think about cloud distribution networks, is this something on the TCH radar in the future?

Mbakshi: How much do you envisage you would require to be comfortable in terms of server space? Are you OK for bandwidth? An additional 1000MB in server space as an add-on is $2.50/month. So in this case it might be cheaper to tack on just the additional server space rather than upgrade to platinum.

Bandwidth is fine for the moment-- I think around 5 GB space would be comfortable (so only the big stuff would have to be hosted externally). I had looked at the upgrades- storage space is very expensive, at 100MB for $1.75/month (the 1GB for $2.50 upgrade is for bandwidth), which makes little sense.

The only way to get 5GB space seems to be the Platinum plan, which is an additional $270/year ($323).

On a side note, the policies for managing the quota are pretty draconian-- today one of my users was sent a large email, which put the domain at 1 MB over quota. As a result, all email accounts on the whole domain stopped working and bounced all emails for the whole day until I figured what had happened (even now, email throughout the domain is read-only for some reason).

This wasn't the case earlier-- not fun to have missed some important messages I was supposed to receive today.

Edited by mbakshi

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll be interested to see what the hosting plan updates are. I've started looking elsewhere for a reseller account and I've found plans that offer 50 GB of space for around the same price I'm paying here at TCH for much, much less (3000 MB). Obviously, it wouldn't be fun for me to have to move my sites, but it looks like TCH needs to come more in line with what is currently out there. I hope it's a significant increase in space...otherwise I think I'll be moving. As I say, I've been happy with TCH, but it is simply becoming a matter of economics....

I can tell you that you should not expect to see 50GB plans for the price your paying now. I could not make any money overselling in such a manner.

TCH is all about providing near 100% up time, 24 hour support, uncrowded servers and good overall value.

We are not ever going to get into the over selling of resources business. There are a ton of other companies out there that oversell their pants off and well at the end of the day they simply do not have any pants left.

WE are going to greatly increase space and bandwidth, but we are not going to give the kitchen sink away.

As a reseller I am very confident you appreciate the uptime and reliable services that we provide, after all your confident enough to be reselling our services.

Looking forward to open debate on the facts of overselling.

That's too bad. TCH is not the only reseller I use. In fact, I only use TCH for accounts that do not need email. I had so many problems with clients email space filling up on TCH because the space offered was inadequate, I finally gave up a few years ago and went with one of those other "overselling" services. I've had no problems with them and they offer great service, handling problems in minutes...literally. I only use TCH for very small sites or as I say sites that do not need email service.

The service I use is more expensive per site, but well worth the extra money and it keeps my clients happy with their email. I don't know if they are overselling or not, but I suspect most companies like yourself are using very similar hardware, similar data centers, etc. As I say, I've had no problems with their service that gives me more space per website than my entire account with TCH. What separates companies from the pack comes down to two things for me: money and service. If I have a problem, I want quick responses. When prices start dropping in the industry, I want to see competitive pricing......TCH's prices are beginning to fall behind considerably.

As I say, I've been happy with TCH, but when I see how much more space I can get for the same price with reputable hosting services....it's hard to resist. I'll wait to see how much more, is more, and then decide what to do.

Thanks for your response....