Sign in to follow this  
alicefred

Annoying Problem

I have a desktop computer running Windows Vista and recently purchased an USB external hard drive from Newegg through h*tp://www.dealrocker.com discount deal. I safely remove it, but the problem is that my computer won't detect it when I plug it in again. The only solution is to restart my computer. Hard drive is working absolutely fine on my other computer. Does anyone know how to get rid of this problem?

Thanks..

I found this doing a Google search

It appears this problem is not OS related OR due to faulty device drivers - though it does appear to be most common with Vista it does happen with other OS (e.g. 32 bit XP).

There IS an effective workaround (not a permanent fix) - which involves a complete shutdown AND disconnecting power AND disconnecting battery (if laptop) for 30 minutes (I suspect you could do it for less time).

It appears the problem relates to the motherboard losing its ability to properly read the USB hub (I suspect this is a power management/load issue). This is most likely caused by an external event (like a power drop or pulling in a new device). The above "reboots" the motherboard.

Others have reported a fix due to completely uninstalling all USB devices and the main hub and then re-installing. Though some have said this didn't work (I suspect for those that did it may be due to the power down they would have done in the middle).

IF this is what is going on (issue has been reported for years) then it suggests motherboard design not up to scratch for more complex/power demanding OS - but this is just conjecture.

Regardless try this workaround. Has worked for me twice and is simple.

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/usb-device-not-recognized/

And also this.

Sometimes when people think 2 much they overlook the simplest anwsers. In vista disk management, when it says the disk is not initialized there will be a little red arrow on the disk icon on the left of the unallocated space. Right click on the little red arrow and select initialize disk. After you do this, then go ahead and format the disk how you want it.

I've had this issue too, some drives come with a y cable, which has two usb connectors to the computer and one to the device, you have to plug in both the connections on the computer and the single one into the usb drive, as it needs to have extra power from the computer for the drive to work. and that was on Xp/Vista as well, I am now running Win7 and found that to be the same case as well. I don't believe it is a motherboard issue, as it works on your laptop fine, I believe it relates to not having enough power from the USB Ports to make the drive work correctly.