Lexmark 4270 Turns On By Itself & Locks Up

ace

Hello TCH fam,

OK here is a weird one. I have a Lexmark X4270 printer. Works just fine on my PC...I connected it to my kids PC (Pavillion a320n)and when the printer is turned off - it turns itself back on between 10 minutes to a couple of hours later. When it does so, all the mode light are all lit up...(print/scan/fax) and it is frozen...only way to recover from this is to pull the plug. I have tried reloading the driver, reset the X4270, and tried different USB ports. When the printer is on it works just fine. It is when you turn it off that the trouble begins...

Any ideas, thoughts or troubleshooting tip?

Thanks for you help.

Kind Regards

UPDATE - OK - I changed usb cable twice and still the problem exists. It sound be noted however that all other usb device work ok. I installed a usb hub and that seems to have fixed the problem. Could the usb ports on the computer be having trouble?

It's possible. Have you tried plugging something else into the port the printer was plugged into? Does it work?

Hi Bruce - yea I have tried another printer (HP D2345) on the same port and it did not have the problem. It was just a printer though and not multi-function like the Lexmark(fax/scan/print. Flash drives work without any problems on the port the printer was plug into.

Ok, then it wouldn't be the port.

Ok after some further testing here is what I discovered:

1) If I plug in a printer other than the lexmark it does not turn itself on.

2) When I plug in a flash drive - all it ok - However if I plug in another flash drive and the computer goes into standby mode and it is awoken - one the flash drive will stop working. I can either unplug the drive or go to the

device manager and disable and then enable the "usb root hub" for that port. The drive will then work.

I am thinking that the problems may not be the ports themselves but the standby software running on the PC. Once the computer goes into standby that is when the problems start.

What do you all think??

Edited by ace

Sounds to me like a power on the USB ports issue not being able to supply enough power, is the hub you bought a powered Hub? If not it should be by the sounds of what you have described.