Constant Problem Upgrading Wp And Plug-Ins

Spinland

This has been going on since I started the blog back in June, and I've finally concluded there simply must be something wrong, this can't be normal.

Whenever I try to upgrade Wordpress or a plug-in automatically, the normal outcome is a failure to copy some file or another, and a failure of the operation. Today I tried to upgrade addtoany and the failure caused the plugin to stop being recognized and multiple attempts to re-install have failed. Here is a typical error message (though the file name will vary):

Downloading install package from http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/add-to-any.0.9.9.4.8.zip.

Unpacking the package.

Could not copy file /public_html/spinrants/wp-content/upgrade/add-to-any.tmp/add-to-any/README.txt

I don't see as how this can be a permissions issue, because sometimes if I re-attempt the automatic install three or four times it will finally work. Again, this happens both when I try to upgrade the blog, itself, or any plugins. I don't believe it has ever worked right the first time around.

This can't be normal; what could be the problem?

My hostname is spinland.biz and the blog is at spinrants.spinland.biz

Mark

I might add that after I enter the FTP information and get the "transferring data..." line at the bottom, the process takes a crazy long amount of time before the failure message, considering the small amount of data involved--like there is some sort of hanging network connection and things are possibly timing out.

Here's another example, just now. Gave up on addtoany and tried to upgrade another one:

Downloading update from http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/all-in-one-seo-pack.zip.

Unpacking the update.

Could not copy file /public_html/spinrants/wp-content/upgrade/all-in-one-seo-pack.tmp/all-in-one-seo-pack/all_in_one_seo_pack-bg_BG.mo

Try deleting the update folder and try again. If it still doesn't work for you please open a ticket with the help desk and see if they have any other suggestions. I still manually install my updates and don't use the automatic feature so don't have any other advice for you.

Thanks. After multiple attempts I finally got wordpress and both plugins to update, so at the moment there'd be nothing for the tech guys to try to duplicate. Next time this happens I'll leave it unfinished and try them. I just couldn't leave the blog in the state it was in, sorry.

Perhaps it would be best to learn to do the updates manually, myself. :-)

• 5 months later...

I have this same issue on the Wordpress install I have running here on TCH. All 3 are a pain to update. I believe this a file ownership issue on the user/group for apache as well as php. On another host, I have about 6 wordpress installs, and all of them update flawlessly using automatic updates. I click "Update", I don't have to enter FTP credentials, package is downloaded and installed in generally under 5 secs or so. Even the core upgrades work with ease. On my TCH account, I almost always have to upgrade manually because of this issue. As popular as a platform wordpress is, it seems a little silly that this should be an issue. Even if I have to enter FTP credentials, it seems to be really slow downloading the packages and extracting them.

Edited by pickupman

Hi pickupman,

This issues seems to be even worse with the latest release and is something I have been discussing with rest of the team for the past week. We started testing the necessary changes to correct this a while back for other scripts and plan to proceed with testing on several servers this weekend concerning wordpress. Once we have more details, which will be very soon, we will update everyone here in the forums.

I updated my blogs using the manual method a few days ago - now I can't wait for another WordPress update so I can try the automatic update again. :)

Thank you for making this change and thanks for all your hard work.

WOW! I visited my main blog and saw that I had one plugin that was just updated by the author 2 days ago so I used the automatic method to update this plugin. It seemed like the process was done in under 5 seconds - what a difference! Before, it seemed like it took forever to even update a plugin and then often the process failed.

Thank you TCH. :)

I'm not having success at all on 2 different blogs on 2 different servers and assorted plugins.

I've been trying to automatically update but get an error message followed by my site being DOWN for maintenance.

Briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance. Check back in a minute. -- which BTW lasts for in some cases longer than a minute.

The error message for The Cleaner Gallery plugin, upgrading to wordpress 3.1 to name a few:

An error occured while updating Cleaner Gallery: Could not create directory. /public_html.

All in One SEO didn't give me an error message just got as far as unpacking then nothing...spinspinspin