Hard Disk Drives

Mrs. Muddled

I am curious.

I have a Compaq (C:) Space free 212 GB Total size 289 GB

Next to it is Factory Image (D:) Space free 1.23 GB Total size 8.70 GB

Can you tell me why I have this D: drive? What does it do? I don't think my other computers had it.

Signed,

Curious George:unsure:

The D: drive is what the manufacturer created. It is a partition that can take your machine back to the way it was the day your brought it home. Most vendors do not give you the CD/DVDs installed on the computer and just put them into this partition they create on your hard drive. They usually have a utility that will allow you to burn that partition to CDs and/or DVDs in case you needed to restore the computer. But the partition will remain unless you reformat the drive. Since you have so much free space on your existing C: partition I would just leave it be.

The D: drive is what the manufacturer created. It is a partition that can take your machine back to the way it was the day your brought it home. Most vendors do not give you the CD/DVDs installed on the computer and just put them into this partition they create on your hard drive. They usually have a utility that will allow you to burn that partition to CDs and/or DVDs in case you needed to restore the computer. But the partition will remain unless you reformat the drive. Since you have so much free space on your existing C: partition I would just leave it be.

Thank you Bruce. You're right. I did not get any CD's with the computer. So, I'll just leave it be.

You should really look into how to back up that hidden partition where the OS resides. Look on your manufacturers web site for instructions on how to do this. You could also google for the HOW TO also. If you have a hard drive failure you will not be able to restore your laptop unless you have disks with the OS on them.

Your personal data should be backed up if you are not doing so now (thumb drives are really cheap now)

youneverknow