Difference Between Wordpress.com & Wordpress.org

glamorouscreations

What is the difference between wordpress.com and wordpress.org? I think wordpress.com host your blog and themese for you , but what does wordpress.org do? I have wordpress installed but would like my site not to have a link like this www.mysite.com/wordpress

cause im learning to do wordpress and really dont want to have wordpress host my stuff? Does any of what i am asking make since?

Thank you

Wordpress.org is the community support/downloads/documentation of the standalone wordpress download that you install on your own servers.

Wordpress.com hosts the wordpress install on their own servers with limited capability/options.

If I were you I would download the latest stable release from wordpress.org and install it on your box here at TCH. Then you can have it in any directory you want, including your root.

So you could have mysite.com be your wordpress, or mysite.com/blog (or blog.mysite.com) as your wordpress. The choice is yours as you have the freedom to do as you wish.

ok, wow, I have wordpress installed under the fantastico area of my cpanel, but when i view it it goes www.mysite.com/wordpress and i dont want it to do that, so how do I install it in my box? im new at this but a fast learner. So what is the 1st step basicly for me to do what you said here (If I were you I would download the latest stable release from wordpress.org and install it on your box here at TCH. Then you can have it in any directory you want, including your root.

So you could have mysite.com be your wordpress, or mysite.com/blog (or blog.mysite.com) as your wordpress. The choice is yours as you have the freedom to do as you wish.)

Thanks

OK. I am no expert with wordpress but you have various options:

1. Keep your current install and

1. redirect your root to your /wordpress directory (.htaccess modrewrite rule for example) or
    2. move the files (and modify the wordpress config) to the web root of your account (public_html or www - they are the same)

[*]Remove your current installation (backup the database first if you have content you want to keep!!!!) and manually install a fresh version from http://wordpress.org/download/ Follow these steps http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress#Famous_5-Minute_Install

Edited by OJB

how do i redirect the root? I am lost hehe as u can tell. and how and what do I modify for the wordpress config and where do i modify it at? I am sorry to be a pain but I really would like to do this. I will prob have it where my main site is www.mysitename.com and have it where they would click enter and then it will load to my wordpress site but i dont want wordpress hosting my stuff. see what im saying.

Thank you

Simplest thing to do is create a subdomain in cPanel. Something like "blog". Then using the file manager, delete the "blog" folder that gets created. Then using the file manager rename the "wordpress" folder "blog". Now you can access the blog using the url "h*ttp://blog.yousitename.com".

You will have to change the address in the blog administration which ever way you go.

I see what your saying, I know someone who has a site and hers is set up where her main site is www.mysitename.com and then when people click enter it goes to her wordpress site but she has it named shop, that is kinda what i wanna do but i wont name mine blog or shop. see what im saying? I really dont wanna name my other site blog or wordpress.

Themes go into the wp-content/themes folder of your wordpress installation. Once you have them there you activate them in the theme manager within your wordpress blog.

Each theme has it's own specific folder. If you look there you will see "default" and "classic" and if you have installed any other themes they will have their own folder there as well.

glammrouscreations, providing you are using your own installation on your own server (as you are) then you don't need to do anything with wordpress' site. You can add your own themes to your install as Bruce has explained above. You can, however, from your installation, connect to the wordpress site to download and install new themes and extensions automatically, but if you want nothing to do with the wordpress site itself then you can certainly do that. Go into the theme manager in your installation and see what the options are, I am not very well versed with Wordpress to be honest.

I see and understand you and him have said, But my biggest question even in the wordpress book I got says to create,and add to your wordpress blog/template it has to be done using wordpress sites, I was just wandering if that is totally true, cause I can access all my wordpress files in tch but I dont see in tch where to creat a wordpress template? Thats basicly what I was wanting to know.

If you want to create your own Wordpress Theme I would start with Theme Development and Using Themes.

You can also look through over 1,000 themes already created which you can download and apply to your installation. You can also modify any theme you download to your liking provided you have the skills necessary to modify the coding.

Creating a theme isn´t the easiest to do, so I would do some google searches to find a theme.

There´s alot of themes available that looks pretty much like the one you attached an image of.

Google for "3 column theme wordpress" and I am sure you will find something that you can easily modify to your needs.

If you bought the template, it might be best to request that the author of the template, assuming that you purchased it from the template author, find and remove the dashed border.

If that is not possible, and you want assistance in this forum, you will need to post a link to the page. We can speculate that a border: dashed property is applied to the element containing the menu headings to which you refer, but that is about the extent of any meaningful analysis that one can do from a screenshot.

Edited by Bob Crabb

in file, wp-content/themes/Christmas-Theme2/style.css

find:

>
#menu ul h2
{
background: url(images/bgmenu.gif) repeat top right #860000;
   border: 1px dashed #860000;
   font-size: 1.0em;
   font-weight: normal;
   padding: 2px;
   margin-bottom: 5px;
text-transform: uppercase; 
text-align: left;

try replacing:

>border: 1px dashed #860000;

with:

>border: none;

You are going to need to fix the background image to the bottom of the element, and add enough height so that the text will appear above the background image. I think that if you want the titles over the candy canes, that you would also want the text centered and it might also be a good idea to make it bold.

I'm kinda winging this, so try it out and see how it works.

Find:

>
#sidebar ul h2
{
background: url(images/bgsidebar2.gif) repeat top left #860000;	
   border: 0px dashed #860000;
   padding-top: 5px;
   margin-bottom: 2px;
text-align: right;			
}

Replace with:

>
#sidebar ul h2
{
background: url(images/bgsidebar2.gif) no-repeat bottom center;	
   border: none;
   font-weight: bold;
   padding: 2px 0 22px 0;
text-align: center;			
}

oh cool thank you, how did u learn this, im still learning this coding. is there a really good book i can buy for beginners? if ya want you can pm me some good info . thank you bob your kind to help me on this. now how do i get the candy cane bars on the other side bar , where it says ( about, navigation, ext....?)

oh cool thank you, how did u learn this, im still learning this coding. is there a really good book i can buy for beginners? if ya want you can pm me some good info . thank you bob your kind to help me on this. now how do i get the candy cane bars on the other side bar , where it says ( about, navigation, ext....?)

No problem.

Here is a great site for learning CSS, HTML, XHTML, etc

http://w3schools.com

to get the candy cane bars on the other side bar, just copy those css declarations into the one for #menu ul h2

Here are more specific instructions:

Find:

>
#menu ul h2
{
background: #860000;
   padding: 2px;
   margin-bottom: 5px;
text-align: left;		
}

Replace with:

>
#menu ul h2
{
background: url(images/bgsidebar2.gif) no-repeat bottom center;     
padding: 2px 0 20px 0;    
text-align: center;             
}

Well ive solved that 1 issue, but I would really like to move the area that says (Glamorous Creations Shop Menu) above the shout box and then move the shout box below (Glamorous Creations Shop Menu), like swap there places, and I havent yet figured out how to do that so if anyone knows please please tell me. I am learning alot and with everyones help its so nice to have such wonderful techs.

I have learned most of this is between 4 diff php files hehehehe, kind weired but is ok, now im trying to figure out how to get the comment section and the 2 sidebar menu areas below the header image, so that the header image is at the top, and the sidebar and comment area is side by side below the header, does any of what im asking make since? I am slowly just playing with settings and stuff but ive done this part all day and cant figure that out . heheheh All help is appreciated.

You will need to add a new

section that encloses your sidebars. Here's something that may help you. If you aren't using Firefox I would recommend downloading it and also the Web Developer plugin. The plugin will allow you to view the page layout (
structure) and that will help you move things around.

You will need to add a new <div> section that encloses your sidebars. Here's something that may help you. If you aren't using Firefox I would recommend downloading it and also the Web Developer plugin. The plugin will allow you to view the page layout (<div> structure) and that will help you move things around.

ok, where can i find that plugin? ive tried firefox and it messed my system up sweety. Where would I add the div section? If someone can just tell me how to get the header above the sidebars, and stuff I can do it, I went to 4 books stores today and want to really learn this but the books I found wasnt the kind i need. I am just going to upload what I have for now but if and when I figure out or someone is nice to help me get it like that, I will change it. All help people here give me is so very much appreciated . I give thumbs up to all TCH techs.

Bruce and everyone thank you, but if you do knonw how or what codes I need I can add them. :clapping:

The plugin is only for firefox and I don't know how it could have messed up your system with millions of people using it with no issues.

As for telling you how to move the image above your sidebars it would be difficult. I would contact who ever wrote the theme and ask them for some help.

Well, I have contacted her and she wont tell me, she said I would have to repurchase a theme that would have that design, see this design, didnt have a header listed and I added it but I cant get the coding to do right so Im just gonna leave it alone, I have to get my site done and republished. anyhow, tell me what you think of it so far? http://glamorouscreations.com/glamorous-shop/

You must have changed it because it's no longer centered and looks fine.

To move your comment section over add margin-left: to the commentform section in the style.css file

>#commentform input,textarea 
{
   margin-left: 15px;
   background: tranparent;
   border: 1px dashed #860000;
color: #ffffff;
}

You can change the pixels to what ever you want.

Nothing should be wrong with the server.

On the other hand I don´t see the theme you have shown us in previous screenshots. Did you remove the theme and now working with the the default theme?

Also, when I go to glamorouscreations.com/glamorous-shop/ I get a "Page can not be found". Did you remove the index file or something like that?

If this theme is widget ready, I believe the title "Calendar" should only be visible if you have added the widget "Calendar". So if not added, the title should not show up.

If the theme is not widget ready, I believe I have seen the title show, but the actual calendar missing.

Try go in to your admin and add the calendar widget (or recheck that it is, if you have already added it).

You can also try to make a test post, to see if the message "Sorry, but you are looking for something that isn't here." goes away. If it does go away, perhaps the calendar gets visible (I have seen this situation once or twice too).

• 7 months later...

hi dear friend

The distinction between WordPress.com and WordPress.org can cause some confusion for people. Let's clear it up. WordPress.com is brought to you by some of the same folks who work on WordPress, the Open Source blogging software. WordPress.com utilizes the same WordPress software which you can download at WordPress.org. With WordPress.com the hosting and managing of the software is taken care of by the team here at Automattic. With WordPress.org you need to install the software on your own server or with a 3rd party provider.