Building A New Site?

signatures

Was considering it's time to build and refresh my website and just wanted some input on what are some of the best programs to use. I have been told JOOMLA works , also SQUARE SPACE seems popular but they also host which i don't need...since i am very happy with total choice. Any input, please let me know. I do have dreamweaver but don't really like it. thanks, dave

First thing you should think about is what/who is it for? Does it need a "members/registered users only" area? Does it going to have a forum, photo galleries etc?

If you need a members area, ie people need to sign in to see certain content, joomla might be an option.

Does it going to have a forum, gallery etc? Joomla may not be for you since including the extensions/add ons can be a bit tricky.

I have used joomla in the past (and still do on one site) and while it´s excellent to work with in it´s basic version, adding extesions can be tricky since some can be poorly written (ie doesn´t work at all), some may not work with the template used and so on.

I tried building a wordpress site for someone needing a members area, all worked well (regarding adding forums, galleries etc) except for the security, ie I couldn´t find an extension/plugin that hid posts and pages well for unauthorized people.

So what does your site and it´s visitors need?

Basically my site would be similiar to what i have up now....it's commercial business and photo galleries.....no member area or forums

trying to come up with a new look for displaying my memorabilia and such for sale. probably not very complicated...my original site was done in part with front page which i would like to dump totally.

thanks, dave (signatures.com)

• 2 weeks later...

There were replies. Just maybe not the reply you wanted. You can use any CMS and there are templates all over the web for each of them. If you want a flash site that's fine too. I myself hate flash as I always seem to have problems with site created with flash.

Thanks for the reply bruce. yes i did read the replies i got. is there any specific problems you see with flash sites?

I have noticed there are more companies that offer simple drag and drop sites like the blog sites and they also want you to host with them and they sell you on the up extras.

There were replies. Just maybe not the reply you wanted. You can use any CMS and there are templates all over the web for each of them. If you want a flash site that's fine too. I myself hate flash as I always seem to have problems with site created with flash.

Personally I don´t like flash and especially if the whole site is made with flash, mostly because it can take a long time to load such a site. If a site doesn´t load in a few seconds I usually leave unless that is the only site I can find a specific answer on.

As for CMS´s and blogs (joomla, drupal, wordpress etc), there are a few you can easily install through the Fantastico section in your cpanel.

I´ve been thinking a little and as for what to choose when redesigning your site, I think you should check out the CMS alternatives since while they do give you an option to have member areas etc, nothing says you need to use that, but since you add the content through an "back end", CMS´s are very simple to use.

There is some learning, but if you sit down with it for 2-3 days and just play with the CMS before beginning the redesign, you will learn it. :)

This, which I found somewhere on zdnet.co.uk sums up my feeling about Flash perfectly:

Flash

There's nothing wrong with Flash, provided you don't use it to construct web sites where people want to find information, navigate easily or do anything beyond passively consume exactly what you choose to give them in exactly the way you've decided.

There's also nothing wrong with using it for a splendid splash screen replete with movies, sound and animation — if you don't mind frustrating, annoying and possibly even driving away people who might, just might, have something better to do.

In fact, Flash-based web sites are quite possibly one of the most useful pieces of network technology around. Like heroin or microlights, they ensure that those who think it's a good idea aren't around to annoy us for too long.

If you are looking for an easy to maintain site that can be expanded as needed, then here is what I think you should try:

Log into cPanel, locate/click the Fantastico link, locate the blog section and install Wordpress.

Search Google and the WordPress Extend site for artists and portfolio themes to install.

google.com/search=result&cd=1&q=wordpress+artists+themes

google.com/search=result&cd=1&q=wordpress+portfolio+themes

wordpress.org/extend/themes/search.php?q=artist

wordpress.org/extend/themes/search.php?q=portfolio

thanks for the info dick. got a question for you, if i install wordpress through fantastico will it affect my current site right away? i've never looked at the fantastico section. will have to do some research. dave

If you are looking for an easy to maintain site that can be expanded as needed, then here is what I think you should try:

Log into cPanel, locate/click the Fantastico link, locate the blog section and install Wordpress.

Search Google and the WordPress Extend site for artists and portfolio themes to install.

google.com/search=result&cd=1&q=wordpress+artists+themes

google.com/search=result&cd=1&q=wordpress+portfolio+themes

wordpress.org/extend/themes/search.php?q=artist

wordpress.org/extend/themes/search.php?q=portfolio

If you install wordpress in it´s own subfolder, your current site will not be affected.

Then when you are done building your new site in the mentioned subfolder,

1) remove the current sites files and replace it what´s in the subfolder,

2) make necessary changes in wp-config.php

3) your new site is now accessible via www.your_domain.ext (ie the url people use today).

for installing wordpress I see it says install "on domain" or "in directory"? does it matter? i'm thinking make a name for directory and put it there. If i install on domain won't it replace my site? thanks, dave

If you install wordpress in it´s own subfolder, your current site will not be affected.

Then when you are done building your new site in the mentioned subfolder,

1) remove the current sites files and replace it what´s in the subfolder,

2) make necessary changes in wp-config.php

3) your new site is now accessible via www.your_domain.ext (ie the url people use today).

for installing wordpress I see it says install "on domain" or "in directory"? does it matter? i'm thinking make a name for directory and put it there. If i install on domain won't it replace my site? thanks, dave

Correct, "on domain" would be in the root of your site and replace your current site. However, Fantastico should give you a warning if it dectects an existing index file.

• 2 months later...

Dave

Look at glfusion.org, you will be pleasently surprised by how good it is. It has it all but you only need to use what you want, and the Media Gallery is first class. Very good support as well.

Thanks

Lee

Edited by TCH-Thomas
Made link inactive

I use Dreamweaver and love it for designing sites.