Site Protection

DavidS

I have just built a new web site, but it is for viewing by specific people only.

Can I password protect the site so that only the poeple I choose to give access to actually gain access?

Yes, FrontPage Extensions are installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

David

There are several ways to do this, but one of the easiest is the "password protect directories" feature in your cpanel.

I tried that, but it tells me that that feature is unable to be used because I have FrontPage Extensions enabled.

Is there another relatively easy way, or am I missing something?

Cheers,

David

When I was using the FrontPage Extensions, I was able to password-protect individual folders in cPanel without any problem. That was at a different host, but I doubt this is a host-dependent thing (though it's not impossible).

If you were trying to password-protect public_html, I can imagine it's possible that that is more likely to present a problem for the FPE than if you password-protect other folders. You might try this workaround: leave public_html unprotected and open to the public. Move your entire site into a folder below public_html, and password protect that. On the index.htm page in public_html, put a link to the index.htm page of your subfolder. After people click the link, they should be prompted for their password before they can continue.

If that works, and you don't want people to have to click the link, you can 301-redirect your public_html/index.htm page to subfolder/index.htm. If the FPE make it impossible to do that kind of redirect in cPanel or .htaccess, you could do it with a meta-refresh header in the public_html/index.htm page, although that is not the preferred way to do it because some people browse with meta-refresh disallowed for security reasons. The meta-refresh won't work for those people, but it shouldn't be much of a problem because they can just click the link on the page.

Edited by SteveW