Sql Problems - Help A Clueless User!

tie_fightertk069

Hi everyone,

I'm a teacher, and use SMF forums in my class that I host with TCH :unsure:

I ran an SMF upgrade, but I can't get a good upgrade on the SQL database backing each of my class forums. I'm definitely NOT a SQL master user, in fact it has been so worry free for the last three years I don't even know where to start in getting to the root of this issues. To make matters worse, I need my students in these forums like last week...

When I run update.php to get the indexes and database inline with the forums I get:

Updating Settings.php... Successful.

Updating and creating indexes... Unsuccessful!

This query:

ALTER TABLE smf_smileys

ORDER BY LENGTH(code) DESC;

Caused the error:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'LENGTH(code) DESC' at line 2

And the error I keep getting on the front end of the SMF forums is:

Unknown column 'a.file_hash' in 'field list'

File: /home/***/public_html/aboforums/Sources/Display.php

Line: 711

Note: It appears that your database may require an upgrade. Your forum's files are currently at version SMF 1.1.10, while your database is at version 1.1.2. The above error might possibly go away if you execute the latest version of upgrade.php.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Jason

Edited by TCH-Thomas
See follow up post.

Hi Jason, I'm sure if you posted this question in the SMF Forums you would get a quicker response. I just had a look and there is a thread there that is similar to your problem and someone posted a patch to upgrade the database. Here is a link to the thread I'm referring, but the file attached is not the one you want. At least I don't think it is.

Hi Jason, I'm sure if you posted this question in the SMF Forums you would get a quicker response. I just had a look and there is a thread there that is similar to your problem and someone posted a patch to upgrade the database. Here is a link to the thread I'm referring, but the file attached is not the one you want. At least I don't think it is.

Thanks Bruce,

I've been searching there for answers, and this may be a bit embarrassing to admit here, but most of what I've found has been a bit over my head :wallbash:

Seriously it took me a week to figure out I needed to redownload upgrade.php and the sql update files and rerun them from my browser. Having gotten so used to Fantastico handling everything for me, I've gotten more than a bit rusty in the tech problem-solving arena.

Thanks for the link and advice though, I just registered over there and will see if I can get some n00b help form them as well :)

Cheers,

Jason