Unable To Stat Error

marlene

My site has some very basic php includes for navigation, footer and so forth. I have an extremely limited understanding of php scripting; so limited that I'm not even sure if the includes I use are considered a script. This: <?php include("/includes/topmenu.txt"); ?> is an example of the "script".

Today I noted two entries in my error log:

[Wed Aug 05 20:19:34 2009] [error] [client 38.105.83.11] File does not exist: /home/***my user name***/public_html/404.shtml, referer: http://www.talithagems.com/sitemap.php'>http://www.talithagems.com/sitemap.php

[Wed Aug 05 20:19:34 2009] [error] [client 38.105.83.11] script '/home/***my user name***/public_html/pendants/silver/turq_cab.php' not found or unable to stat, referer: http://www.talithagems.com/sitemap.php[/size]

An ARIN check on the IP address reveals:

OrgName: PSINet, Inc.

OrgID: PSI

Address: 1015 31st St NW

City: Washington

StateProv: DC

PostalCode: 20007

The first entry doesn't concern me so much as I have seen these types of errors before even though I have no shtml pages. It's the 2nd entry that is more than puzzling. The page requested was missing from my site and I have since re-uploaded it, so the error served was correct. It's the script' part I am wondering about. Is this a normal consequence of a 404 error?

Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

marlene

If you do not have a 404 page defined for your site that is a normal error you will receive when something be sought after on your site does not exist. Create a custom 404.php or 404.htm page to be served when links are broken or missing and you won't see the 404.shtml error in your logs.

You will also need to include a directive in your .htaccess on which file to show when a 404 error occurs. If you don't have a .htaccess file for your site you can create one using the text editor in cPanel. Add a line similar to this for the 404 error page to display when an error occurs.

>ErrorDocument 404 /404.htm

If you do not have a 404 page defined for your site that is a normal error you will receive when something be sought after on your site does not exist. Create a custom 404.php or 404.htm page to be served when links are broken or missing and you won't see the 404.shtml error in your logs.

You will also need to include a directive in your .htaccess on which file to show when a 404 error occurs. If you don't have a .htaccess file for your site you can create one using the text editor in cPanel. Add a line similar to this for the 404 error page to display when an error occurs.

>ErrorDocument 404 /404.htm

Thank you, Bruce. I did not create any error pages. I did try to do that through the cpanel error pages feature, but it was a little over my head. I will have to do some studying and learn how to do that.

marlene :)