Can't Edit Or Delete My Files

I tried editing a file in Cpanel file manager and I got a fatal error when trying to save. I tried uploading a replacement file via an FTP client it gave me an error. I tried deleting the file through my FTP client and could not. What gives?

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I am having a problem with editing and updating a site for someone who just recently purchased the deluxe hosting plan at TCH. I maintain their site for them (I recommended them to move here as I have a site hosted with TCH and I've been very happy with it). A couple of days ago, I logged in to their site and was going to update their site. I high-lighted the file I wanted to update as always and clicked on the Editor. An "information bar popped up. I clicked on the info bar and selected Settings. There, it says "Show Information Bar for Pop-Ups" is checked. Could I have accidently re-set something in the cpanel to cause this to happen? What is different since this happened is the pop-up message (guess that's what it's called); where you select which encoding you want, no longer shows up. When I click on the editor, it goes directly to the file I want to edit. Should the "Always Allow Pop-ups from This Site" be checked? It won't allow me to edit anything as it keeps popping up the Information Bar and there's a small icon with a "blocked signage" is located at the bottom of my computer screen. Your help is appreciated in advance!!

Buffalo Gal, this definitely sounds like a browser popup blocker issue. I would select "Always Allow PopUps From This Site" as you said as that should bypass the information bar asking you whether you wish to open the popup. To confirm it is the browser try editing the files with a different browser. Cpanel wouldn't warn you about popups, it will be your browser.

Do select "Always Allow PopUps From This Site" in Internet Explorer.

In FileManager, right next to the heading at the top is a "Settings" link, where you can "Disable Character Encoding Verification Dialogs". Maybe you set that setting at some point, on purpose or by accident?

When I click on the editor, it goes directly to the file I want to edit. It won't allow me to edit anything as it keeps popping up the Information Bar and there's a small icon with a "blocked signage" is located at the bottom of my computer screen.

Those two sentences seem contradictory. Can you explain more fully what's happening? Or do you successfully go to the file editing page, but can't edit the text in it?

Are you unable to edit, or unable to Save?

What is the "blocked signage" icon?

cPanel is at a new version since the last time I checked. There might be a few differences, or new bugs.

Old: 11.24.4-STABLE Build 33345 Theme=x3

New: 11.24.5-STABLE Build 38506 Theme x3

Edited by SteveW

Thanks so much for your response, OJB AND SteveW!! :) It looks like it was in the File Manager Settings. I must have accidently changed the settings preference, as the "Disable Character Encoding Verification Dialogs" was checked. Do not remember checking it, but that cleared it up. Now, it's like it was and I can edit with no problems. I'm still so new at this, but am learning. Thanks SO MUCH!!

Edited by Buffalo Gal

If you ever have issues with a setting or view in your cPanel, you can use the preference links located at the bottom of the Home screen.

Lite/Full Graphics — Toggles display of the header and footer graphics.

Hide/Show Icons — Toggles display of the icons contained in the boxes between displaying only hyperlinks, or both icons and hyperlinks.

Reset All Interface Settings — Resets any changes made to the interface(including the file manager) and returns it to its default.

Reveal All Boxes — Reveals any menu boxes that have been hidden. Boxes can be hidden by clicking the arrow icon in the top right-hand corner of the heading bar.

Reset Box Order — Returns the order of boxes to cPanel’s default setting if the order has been changed.

Thanks for the information Dick! I appreciate your definitions of what they do. I saw those when havin' issues, but was sorta leary to click on any of them. Was afraid I might do something that would mess things up worse.

Thanks to all of you for your help and advice!!