Where Do I Find The Definitions Of "server Path" Etc

dorich

your upload directory can be anything you want it to be.... but your root home directory is as follows:

/home/cpanel-username/

so if you wanted your upload directory to be under your webroot and hence accessible via the internet you would want it something like:

/home/cpanel-username/public_html/uploads

if you have it outside of your public_html folder it will be inaccessible from the internet

/home/cpanel-username/uploads

but given that you want a URL I am assuming you want access to it so use

/home/cpanel-username/public_html/uploads and this would make the URL to it http://your-domain-name.ext/uploads

your upload directory can be anything you want it to be.... but your root home directory is as follows:

/home/cpanel-username/

so if you wanted your upload directory to be under your webroot and hence accessible via the internet you would want it something like:

/home/cpanel-username/public_html/uploads

if you have it outside of your public_html folder it will be inaccessible from the internet

/home/cpanel-username/uploads

but given that you want a URL I am assuming you want access to it so use

/home/cpanel-username/public_html/uploads and this would make the URL to it http://your-domain-name.ext/uploads

Hi OJB:

Thanks for your helpful reply.

I apologize for posting a poorly phrased question but the intent of my question was to distinguish between the "server path" and the url, which I think you did.

I was looking at an example on the "Expression Engine" documentation and for the server path they use "/www/username/public_html/images/" (images being the upload folder).

I was trying to understand if the preceding "/www" was critical, if it was specific to hosting company --- in general, what is the logic to building the server path and how do I determine mine.

Thanks.

A simple way to discover what the root path of your site is log into cPanel. In the left hand column you will see

>Home Directory	  /home/your-cpanel-id

This is your home path. As OJB stated if you want the uploads directory to be available through the browser the folder needs to be in your public_html folder so it can be accessed using http://your-domain.ext/uploads.

The these servers user accounts are set up on the home partition and not a www partition.

Thanks to everyone for the additional information.

I believe I have the configuration correct based on your guidence.

However, I'm having trouble using applications to upload blog entries to my EE based site.

I can post text only entries without a problem.

However, if I add an image I get an error message.

This occurs if I use TextMate or Blogo.

I can only conclude that the problem lies with my designation of the upload folder but I'm at a loss to see the cause of the problem.

I can use Cyberduck ftp to upload images to the same folder and there are no problems.

The people at Blogo say this is most likely a misconfiguration problem.

Any thoughts on possible causes of this problem would be most appreciated.

Thanks

I went looking at both of those software packages and couldn't find configuration screens for either. Do either of them have an FTP configuration section? If so, just enter your path to upload images as such.

>/public_html/path-to-image-folder/

Set your blog image path as such.

>/path-to-image-folder/

You shouldn't need to change your image folder to 777 permissions if you are using FTP from either of those packages.