Adobe Acrobat

Mrs. Muddled

I just downloaded an update from Adobe Acrobat.

I don't want it starting up with my start up.

I am now dealing with repeating alerts every couple of minutes.

I've printed out the instructions from WinPatrol on how to stop these groups that have obviously been designed to replace the data removed by WinPatrol.

I'm unsure which of the programs in my Active Tasks are the culprit.

Need your advice before I do any killing of tasks.

post-7242-1238097086_thumb.jpg

post-7242-1238096639_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mrs. Muddled

As far as I can see, none of the tasks (image 1) are for Adobe Acrobat but is there a "No" button in image 2 (as in No, I don´t want Adobe Acrobat to run...)?
The "no" button in WinPatrol does nothing. The Adobe program keeps restarting itself even though I hit the "NO" button in WinPatrol.

WinPatrol gives a good write up on how to deal with these repeats. My concern is: I don't want to start killing off programs and end up killing a program that I need! I am hoping that someone "out there" will spot the culprit (s) on my list and let me know which ones to get rid of.

While I agree with Bruce that you could uninstall it (Foxit Reader is quite nice), it may be that you really want to keep Acrobat Reader. If that is the case...

WinPatrol also has a "Startup Programs" tab. Is there nothing in there? That's typically where I would start with WinPatrol.

Why don't you just uninstall Acrobat Reader and install Foxit Reader instead? That will get rid of the problem entirely.

Bruce, I installed Foxit Reader quite awhile ago. My husband had a file that could only be read by Foxit. So, I installed it ... then I discovered that most of the files I have only work with Adobe ... so I reinstalled it. Now I've got this Adobe update that is determined to open with my start up. I try to keep my start up pretty lean.

Edited by Mrs. Muddled

click on your start menu and (if you are on XP click RUN) and type in msconfig and hit enter .. then click on the Startup tab of msconfig

Disclaimer: Do not fiddle with msconfig startup options unless you know 100% what the program you are disabling from startup is! This is important.

Look down the list for the adobe updater you don't want to start when your PC does, untick the box next to it and click Apply. The next time you start your pc the updater won't run. It may prompt you to restart then and there or restart later, the choice is up to you it should work either way.

Edited by OJB

click on your start menu and (if you are on XP click RUN) and type in msconfig and hit enter .. then click on the Startup tab of msconfig

Look down the list for the adobe updater you don't want to start when your PC does, untick the box next to it and click Apply. The next time you start your pc the updater won't run. It may prompt you to restart then and there or restart later, the choice is up to you it should work either way.

Yes, I've already done all the obvious and the msconfig. There is nothing in start up that shouldn't be there. However, when I look at start up in WinPatrol, different files show up. The one that I don't recognize is launcher.exe. Is that a program you are familiar with? All the rest look familiar. I've googled the file and it appears harmless. I don't see any connection to Adobe.

After getting the Adobe popup a zillion times, it seems to have stopped. Of course I haven't turned off the computer, so it may start up again tomorrow. Did you look at the screenshot of the list? Did you see anything there that you would want to delete?

Just noticed launcher.exe does not show on that screen shot ... hmm?

Edited by Mrs. Muddled