Bruce is absolutely correct.

Maintain strong passwords for all logins (cpanel, email accounts, database users, ftp etc). You can use a combination of alphabets, numbers and special characters for this. Ensure that it is a long one and is rotated frequently.

Maintain different passwords for cpanel, email accounts, database users etc. ie, different passwords for each login requirement.

Are you saying I should change my database password from time to time?

I thought that had to be done through the help desk. Is that right?

Sheryl

You don't HAVE to get the help desk to do it. I don't change my database passwords that often because I use a password manager program to create them at the maximum length with maximum complexity. Most people aren't going to spend that much time with my site to try and get in. For a commercial site I might change it every so often though to protect user data. My user logins are another story though.

By the way, while we are on the subject and for those that want an easy way to make complex passwords and be able to remember them without using a program, I have a solution that is simple to me. I base mine off of a phrase I can remember. It works as follows;

Lets say my phrase is "What is your favorite TV show?"

If I answer "My favorite TV show is Friends" then that is the basis for my password.

I take the first letter of each word in my answer, in this case it is "MFTVSIF"

Then I substitute symbols or numbers in places where it and the letter look the same.

As such, my password might end up as "IVIfTv$!F" I split letters where I can so an "N" might turn into "lV" or a "V" becomes "\/"

I guess my point is that complex does not have to mean hard to remember so dont be afraid to mix them up. This month could be your favorite TV show and the next could be your favorite beer or species of python or whatever.

• 2 weeks later...

I need to change my database password but I don't see where to do it.

I'm suppose to be able to change it through mysql databases but I don't see an option for changing passords.

Would you be able to explain what I need to do?

Thanks.

Sheryl

Am I suppose to find the "table" on the page that lets you set up a new database and user?

I don't see any options on my sql database to make any changes other then adding a new user to a database or deleting users and databases.

Sheryl

Well, I was talking about using phpAdmin to make the change but adding a new user with a new password and deleting the old user would also work. Still, make sure you have good backups before making any changes.

Thanks.

I think I'm going to create all new users and passwords for my databases.

I have one database that's a test site so I'll try that one first to be sure I know what I'm doing and I'll make sure I back up the database I don't want to lose.

Sheryl