Sign in to follow this  
raDeon

Web Design Tutorial

Does anybody know of a tutorial of how to make good looking pages. I know HTML and CSS but I don't know how to make a good looking design. It's extremely frustrating. I've searched and searched but I can't find a tutorial on how to design a good page.

Does anybody know of a tutorial of how to make good looking pages.

When or if you get ready for books check out an author named Robin Williams (not the comedian). She is an artist that understands web pages well and takes a "everyman" approach to it. In fact, one book I have of hers is "The Non-Designer's Web Book". Another I have is "Web Design Workshop" which is equally useful for this media.

Truth is that it takes a marriage of artist and code hack to create a great site usually. Either can be learned but the real experts at it are born with the talent, IMO.

Roadmap is right that good design is in the eye of the beholder, but there are certain things that are universally unappealing and should be avoided. Sorry I don't know anything online but whatever you look at, make sure they have background in both art and web design or they'll have to be extraordinary to do a good job.

I don't know if this is too late but this website probably will help with a lot of info regarding designing websites what not to do. It was recommended to me at a University I was studying at 2 years ago.

http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/

I hope this info helps you and others that might be interested.