Very Wierd!

Virtual Imager

This is really wierd: How is it possible that when I access my site from http://www.virtualconceptions.com I get one page (updated 8/9) and when I use http://virtualconceptions.com I get an earlier (unfinished) page from 8/8?

What do I need to do to get rid of that earlier page?

B)

And Getting Weirder! I noticed that the two links above take me to the same place (the 8/9 page). But the link from my email signature (which was http://virtualconceptions.com) is still giving me the older page whic is missing the graphics and may have some bad links.

I feel really stupid... I spent days updating the site and then sent out an email with a link to an unfinished page! :)

You should try clearing your temporary internet files from your browser. You can also try hitting Control-F5 to force a refresh of the page. Sounds like the old page is cached and I suspect it is on your computer. You should also try resetting your cable modem if you have on by turning it off for a short time and then restarting.

I've deleted all my temporary internet files (including offline content), and even rebooted after that, but I still get to the older page that doesn't have the graphics when I use the emailed link.

I haven't fooled with the modem yet. My husband won't let me touch it!!! LOL. I'll have him do that when he gets off the golf course.

Also... and this is my mistake.... the newer page DOES say 8/8 on it. The only difference between the two pages I'm getting is that the one from the email link doesn't have the background or the graphics. Is anyone else seeing that page??? Or is it just when the link is emailed? That wouldn't be possible, would it?

Question: It took forever (well, a lot more than a few seconds anyway) to delete those files. I don't even know what that means and only did it because you guys said I should and YOU ROCK!!!! But the longer it took, the more I worried about whatever it was I was deleting/ Am I in deep doo-doo now?

Thanks for your responses so far.... I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this.

Randy

Rob... where are you??? And where is your shop? Email me if you don't want to post it here. I'll be there tomorrow! I looked at your site via the Web Hosting Family Members Page just a few days ago. I have a little collection of knives and daggers myself. Left over from my Martial Arts days. I've got some big fighting knives (both Kenpo Knives), antique and modern daggers and hunting blades, and little pocket knives, but my favorites are the blades in the lipstick cases! I just have to be careful when I put lipstick on that I've pulled the right case out of my purse. Consequences could be disasterous!

Well, obviously you got the page with the graphic... that's the only place the address would have showed up. I don't know why the email link is pulling up that other page. It's so frustrating.

Randy

Yes, I know. Both index pages say that (I just realized this morning after I posted). But... one page has graphic images and a background on it and the other one doesn't. The one with the graphics is the correct page, but somehow the link from my email signature is sending me (and I presume others) to a different page that is missing the graphics and background. I still don't see how this is possible, but it's happening despite me deleting my temporary internet files, refreshing the page, etc.

:unsure:

As for why it took a while to delete the temporary internet files, that is not unusual especially if you have a lot of space alloted to those files. I have mine set to about 10 megs and have it check for a new page everytime I call a page.

As you can see from the comments here, it looks like everyone is seeing the correct page. Your old page is cached in your system somewhere, either the browser or the ISP. I would definitely try turning off the modem for a short while and then restarting. I've seen this before and that normally will fix it.

OK... this is getting really strange. Now I get a page that doesn't have graphics from either address (http://www.virtualconceptions.com and http://virtualconceptions.com) but ONLY when I try to get there from a link sent in an email using outlook express. I have a feeling this is only happening on my computer. Also, when I pull up my page in Netscape Composer (that's what I created it with), sometimes the graphics are there and sometimes they're not. Perhaps I'm not saving them correctly. Although I have it to set to save the images and associated files with the page, I don't think that's happening. My pages are in a folder called homepage and the images that I've inserted from other folders aren't being copied/saved to homepage (An earlier version of Netscape Composer always saved everything to homepage). The image properties shows that the images are there, but they're not displaying. Also, I'm a bit confused about when to check the box that says "URL is relative to Page Location" when I insert images and links. Anyone familiar with Netscape Composer? I wish I never updated it.... the older version of Composer seemed to run very smoothly.

So, is the link from Outlook pulling up a page from my hard drive instead of from the internet? Does this only affect my computer? Can I fix it?

Well while I was typing this I just saw Rickvz's post... I'll try the modem thing. But if it's a cache thing on my computer, what would that have to do with the modem? And why only when I link from Outlook Express as opposed to linking from the forum page or clicking on home? Never mind, I don't think I want to know!

My brain hurts!