The Importance Of Picking A Wp Theme?

Wow! I didn't know I could still get in here. It's been at least 2 - 3 years - and I tried a username and password just to see if it worked - and it did!! Woo-Hoo!!

Anyway, I posted yesterday, as a guest, in the pre-sales forum. I used to have a website hosted by TCH and loved it here - and I'm coming back. I bought my hosting package today, so I'm just waiting to get clearance for pointing DNS here. Can't wait!!

Anyhoo - - (sorry, I'm a writer by profession and tend to ramble) I was trying to decide on using WP or Joomla. I think I'm going to use WP on this site. I may use Joomla on another site I bought the domain for later..

So, I'm looking around at WP themes, checking out WP forums, TCH forums and I'm thinking that I really need to get a clear picture of what I'm going to want my site to do, correct? I guess what I'm asking is:

Do I have to watch out for themes that make it clear that they're "widget-friendly"?

How strict is TCH on using plug-ins??

How easy, hard is it to modify headers, footers, etc in WP themes? I'm praying they're WYSIWYG-friendly. Are they??

Also, I'm thinking of creating another site (domain name already purchased). In the meantime, it's not hosted somewhere. What do I do with this domain name? Leave it parked at GoDaddy? Can I "park" it as a subdomain on my 1st site? Is that recommended?? I understand that I'll have to purchase another hosting package when I'm ready to do something with it - so what do I do with it in the meantime??

I have a thousand other questions and I'm sure I'll be on the forums quite a bit in the next few months. I love the support and family here. I'm glad to be back! :tchrocks:

Do I have to watch out for themes that make it clear that they're "widget-friendly"?

How easy, hard is it to modify headers, footers, etc in WP themes? I'm praying they're WYSIWYG-friendly. Are they??

Also, I'm thinking of creating another site (domain name already purchased). In the meantime, it's not hosted somewhere. What do I do with this domain name? Leave it parked at GoDaddy? Can I "park" it as a subdomain on my 1st site? Is that recommended?? I understand that I'll have to purchase another hosting package when I'm ready to do something with it - so what do I do with it in the meantime??

usually I am just a lurker. . . but ..

If it's going to be a day or two I would forward the domain to tch, cause it sometimes take a bit to update all the nameservers. If it is going to be abit, which it sounds like might be the case, I would leave it parked at godaddy.

As far as WP question - plug-ins are fine.

take into account I am not an expert. and I have not played with WP yet.

the other questions are for somebody else.

hopes it helps a tiny bit.

While you can certainly use a non-widget ready theme, a widget ready theme are more easy to use.

Lets take a menu for latest posts for example, the difference is basically that in a non widget theme you need to place some php code in to special file in your theme to make this menu show up in your blog.

With a widget ready theme you just go in to your wp admin > design > widgets and tell it where you want it to show up. Much more easier.

If the plugin is server intensive, you might get in to a problem, but if the all plugins you use play nice with the server and are secure you will have no problem.

If you know a little css you will have no problem with this either.

If you use Firefox, you can install an extension called Web Developer Toolbar (chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/).

With this toolbar you can mark the header for example and it will show you where in the css to modify things for your header. Do your changes right in your browser, save it to your computer and upload it to the folder which contains the css file to overwrite it.

Don´t forget to always have the themes original css file stored on your computer if something goes wrong.

You can not park it as a subdomain since it would be against the rules.

I would either have it parked where it is now or put it on top at the other domain until 2nd package is purchased.

If you decide to park it on top of the other in the meantime, just point the nameservers to the same nameservers as domain #1. Then when you are ready to purchase a second hosting package, just submit a ticket with the helpdesk and tell them you want to use domain #2 for the second package.

While you can certainly use a non-widget ready theme, a widget ready theme are more easy to use.

Lets take a menu for latest posts for example, the difference is basically that in a non widget theme you need to place some php code in to special file in your theme to make this menu show up in your blog.

With a widget ready theme you just go in to your wp admin > design > widgets and tell it where you want it to show up. Much more easier.

Gotcha!! I think I'll find widget-friendly themes to use then... I thought that's what I was reading, but I wasn't sure. Thank you!!!

If the plugin is server intensive, you might get in to a problem, but if the all plugins you use play nice with the server and are secure you will have no problem.

Great. I plan on vetting very carefully, so hopefully I won't get in trouble.

If you know a little css you will have no problem with this either.

If you use Firefox, you can install an extension called Web Developer Toolbar (chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/).

With this toolbar you can mark the header for example and it will show you where in the css to modify things for your header. Do your changes right in your browser, save it to your computer and upload it to the folder which contains the css file to overwrite it.

Don´t forget to always have the themes original css file stored on your computer if something goes wrong.

Uhm, I know absolutely nothing about css other than it stands for cascading style sheet. That's the extent of my knowledge. I can use Firefox though and that toolbar sounds cool. But I still don't know css. I'll learn as I go though. I'm usually pretty good at researching and figuring things out - with LOADS of help. :tchrocks:

You can not park it as a subdomain since it would be against the rules.

I would either have it parked where it is now or put it on top at the other domain until 2nd package is purchased.

If you decide to park it on top of the other in the meantime, just point the nameservers to the same nameservers as domain #1. Then when you are ready to purchase a second hosting package, just submit a ticket with the helpdesk and tell them you want to use domain #2 for the second package.

What would be the advantage/disadvantage of pointing the 2nd domain to my 1st domain? Does it help/hurt? It will probably be 3 - 6 months + before I'm ready to open the 2nd domain.

Thank you, Thomas!

And thank you, getitdone!! I don't know how to include your comments in this one. Sorry.

You guys are great!