com693

Increase In Spam Despite Settings

Over the past month or so, there are about two spam messages that get through a day to my account on our domain.

This is really puzzling because I have spam assassin's required score set all the way down to 1.5, and to auto-delete anything that registers 4 or higher.

I know that there's a nature to spam ... we can't really stop it now and forever ... but I am really puzzled that spam is now getting through to my account, after many, many months of getting NO spam (or, better said, many many months of spam assassin supposedly doing its job). And I have always exercised the practice of no complete email addresses on the site (i.e. using yourmom at place.org) and no mailto: links.

Curious if anyone else has seen a slight increase in spam lately, and what you've done to prevent it from getting to your inbox.

Edited by com693

If it´s the same sender each time I would first try to black list it (cpanel > spamassassin > spamassassin configuration).

Have you tried to lower the spamassassin score?

Apart from that, have you tried something like Poptray, an free email-checker, that will not only notify you and let you preview emails but it can also be configured to delete spam emails before you download any new emails.

Hey Thomas, thanks for replying.

Over time, I have lowered the score from whatever the default was (like 5?) all the way to 1.5, which is incredibly aggressive. I suppose I could try lowering the auto-delete score from 4 to 3 and see what happens.

I haven't been paying too much attention to the sender ... it's those emails with "you have a new message" that are going around lately, and I've just been surprised to see them get through as letig mail or at least not end up in a spam box / folder.

It goes in cycles. Spammers are constantly finding new ways to get their emails through. I deal with the ones that do client side. Using Thunderbird as my email client it does a good job of catching the ones that do make it through once it's trained.

It goes in cycles. Spammers are constantly finding new ways to get their emails through. I deal with the ones that do client side. Using Thunderbird as my email client it does a good job of catching the ones that do make it through once it's trained.

I knocked spam assassin all the way down to .5 and 3 auto delete. Something still got through.

I know there's no "cure-all" ... between outlook and e-set all of my stuff gets caught. But when I'm mobile and get mail on my blackberry (sans outlook and sans eset), spam assassin is the only mediator, and it seems to not recognize everything.

I like DSPAM ... another account I have at a different organization uses DSPAM, and it is magnificent. It would be awesome if TCH got DSPAM.