Unable To Edit .htaccess File

WickedlyWise

I've changed the permissions on my .htaccess file to 777, but am still getting the following errors when I try to update my permalinks structure:

You should update your .htaccess now.

If your .htaccess file were writable, we could do this automatically, but it isn’t so these are the mod_rewrite rules you should have in your .htaccess file.

I'd welcome any ideas or suggestions. Thank-you

Is your WP installation in the root "public_html" folder or in a subdomain folder? Are you changing the permissions of the correct .htaccess file?

You could also just copy/paste the permalink structure into the .htaccess file (my preferred method so you don't need to mess with permissions).

I installed WP in a subdomain folder called "blog".

I'm changing the .htaccess file in the "blog" subdomain folder, right?

I downloaded the .htaccess file so I could add the changes myself. There is still a problem though because the blog pages give me a "page not found error", but when I change the permalink structure it back to "default" the blog pages work fine.

WP is also still telling me that it can't update the .htaccess file which I don't understand if the permissions have been changed to 777.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions?

I really appreciate your help,

Margie

Yes, that should be the correct one. Don't download it to your computer. Use the editor in cPanel to modify it. As for why it's not able to update through WP I'm not sure. Permissions for WP to update it should be set to 666 not 777 but 777 should allow it to work.

If you still can't get it to work, please open a ticket with the help desk (link above or in my signature) and ask one of the techs to take a look.

I don't know if this will solve your problem but I had a similar one with my WP site. If you add this code above the stuff WP wants in the .htaccess for the permalinks it may work.

><IfModule mod_security.c>
SecFilterEngine Off
SecFilterScanPOST Off
</IfModule>

Give it a try, nothing to lose.

• 5 years later...

I been trying for three days, literally with tears at times, to get a directory listing to appear for one folder on my site. The above code, followed with "Options +Indexes" in the .htaccess file solved it. Thank you. BTW - I strongly suggest never doing this in the "public_html" folder!

Edited by WarmPuppy