Google Web Browser - Chrome

MikeJ

I'll wait for it to come out of Beta first.

Isn't most of Google just one big permanent beta? :)

As for me...downloaded it, and on my laptop's touchpad, Chrome would let me scroll down through a page, but not scroll up. Promptly uninstalled.

I took Chrome for a test ride and was very impressed with the speed!!! Another feature I really like (I use IE) is that if one tab crashes, that's it, it doesn't close down the whole browser. So far, I think it's a great improvement over IE but I might wait until it's out of Beta until I customize it and use it exclusively....we'll see :)

PS. I had no trouble scrolling up or down so not sure what happened with you Nortk.

Edited by Lisety

Thanks Mike. :)

Google's new web browser, called Chrome*, has now been released

Uh oh, one more browser to download to check my sites in before releasing them to the world then.

Another feature I really like (I use IE) is that if one tab crashes, that's it, it doesn't close down the whole browser.

IE 8 will have this feature too as I have understood.

Thomas Chrome uses Apples WebKit engine for rendering so testing in either Chrome or Safari should give same results. Same as testing in Firefox, Flock or Kmeleon 'should' give the same results.

I installed Chrome and was instantly annoyed at their choice of fully skinning it using the Vista theme given that I was on XP at the time. The pages I tested were fast but then so is my Firefox after I tweaked it. To me it looks like each tab is a whole new window which is just docked to the main browser component (which Google pretty much says anyway) hence you get a new entry in your running tasks for each pane. Can't say I was that impressed specially given the very sparse options available. Possibly part of why I don't like it is that is is very different in some ways to what I am used to but then again maybe not.

Anyway I cannot see it replacing Firefox on my systems any time soon.

I took Chrome for a test ride and was very impressed with the speed!!!

Google wrote their own Javascript Engine (poorly named V8) which is up to 10 times faster than other versions. With the heavy usage of Javascript, AJAX, etc... on websites, this will give a decent improvement in performance on most sites. However, being open-source, you may see some of this filter over to Firefox which Google still has an invested interest in at least through 2011.

Whether Google's browser gains any significant market share or not, hopefully it'll help push others to optimize and become better featured and standard compliant.

Google wrote their own Javascript Engine (poorly named V8) which is up to 10 times faster than other versions.

No Google paid a company to make the new engine for them. To my knowledge the main engine parts of Chrome (the renderer an Javascript engine) are both made by third parties.

No Google paid a company to make the new engine for them. To my knowledge the main engine parts of Chrome (the renderer an Javascript engine) are both made by third parties.

Well, largely the same thing. A new javascript engine was created for the google browser.

And yes, the rendering engine is webkit, developed by Apple.

I just had a look at a CSS3 test page in both Chrome and Safari and Chrome doesn't display somethings that Safari does which makes me wonder if either Google is using an old WebKit or if they have messed with it or if Apple just hasn't released an up to date version. The page I tested on was http://www.westciv.com/iphonetests/

I just looked and both browsers claim to be using the same WebKit

Chrome:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.13 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/0.2.149.27 Safari/525.13

Safari:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.13 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1 Safari/525.13

Oh and just to add that apparently Mozilla has a new Javascript engine that they are introducing in Firefox 3.1 and some claim it may be better than V8 but we shall see.

Further Update: - No RSS support neither :|

Edited by carbonize

Oh and just to add that apparently Mozilla has a new Javascript engine that they are introducing in Firefox 3.1 and some claim it may be better than V8 but we shall see.

Firefox is reporting that TraceMonkey is indeed faster (whether it is or not, it definitely is comparable on my system).

PS. I had no trouble scrolling up or down so not sure what happened with you Nortk.

Yes...it was a strange problem. But a Google search revealed that I wasn't alone. Given the open source nature of the project, I'd like to think that there is active bug tracking and swatting going on.

I gave this a shot, and to me it's just another browser. It's fast, but that's about it. I wasn't impressed with what it has to offer over the new javascript engine. As for Thomas, you shouldn't have to code for this browser as it's using WebKit, which was pointed out already. Right now, it's back to Firefox on the VM in Windows and Safari/Firefox on the Mac side.

Some interesting information I found. http://cyberinsecure.com/carpet-bombing-vu...me-new-browser/

Hours after the release of Google Chrome, researcher Aviv Raff discovered that he could combine two vulnerabilities, a flaw in Apple Safari (WebKit) and a Java bug discussed at this year’s Black Hat conference, to trick users into launching executables directly from the browser window.

I might wait a bit before playing with it.

Chrome is ok I guess.

I still prefer Opera.