Need A Solution To Transfer Large Files Back And Forth

webgyrl

Hi all!

OK my partner and I are set to launch what we are calling an "online mastering service". Basically we want to have people pay to have songs mastered and we have been looking for a solution that allows the following:

• Have user upload large files (can be up to 2G of files per session) to us...
  • Have user be able to browse to upload multiple files if say they are doing a whole album and don't know how to zip up files (plus zipping can sometimes corrupt files from what we've see in past trials with this sort of stuff)
  • We can receive the files, master and send back the song all thru the web

We have looked into You Send It (http://www.yousendit.com) because it seemed they would offer the solution with their business package, but it turns out that the person sending still has to have an account to send files over 100MB, which most of these files will be. This of defeats the purpose of getting a business account for us. We want the person sending the file to not have to sign up for any extra service. We just want to basically have a 'drop box' on our site that they can use to interface to send us files.

We then thought of FTP combined with a robust TCH account (a new one), but we can't assume that these people have any technical knowledge and quite honestly some of these FTP programs are difficult to use for someone who can barely use Microsoft Word. We have to assume the users have next to zero knowledge of things computer or net. The solution has to be dummy proof (and the YSI interface is pretty dummy proof!).

So, I'm a bit stumped on how to offer this service. Any ideas for a reliable FTP type situation that allows us to interface from our own site? We are using Joomla for the site. We don't mind using an outside service at all, as long as it does what we want.

I'd love to hear if you know of any services that might do what we would like.

Thanks!

"Any ideas for a reliable FTP type situation that allows us to interface from our own site? "

In theory, one could setup anonymous ftp off your website. Link would be something like ftp.yurdomain.com. Instruct your visitors to use IE (eww!) to login with anonymous and their email address for a password. You can see instructions similar at FTP thru IE. In practice, this is bad for more than a few reasons.

As for an outside service, I don't have any personal experiences to share.

The 2Gb is going to be a gotcha. If some of your customers are on 256 Kb DSL or dial-up, they are not going to like sending you the big files. How have your marketed the site so far? The reason I ask is this. One can get a bunch of custom USB drives w/ your site logo and/or URL made up. When customers need to send you files, then you overnight them a drive, maybe in a nice gift box with your business card. They mail the drive back to you in a pre-paid envelope. a bit of an upfront investment, but maybe worth it.

"Any ideas for a reliable FTP type situation that allows us to interface from our own site? "

In theory, one could setup anonymous ftp off your website. Link would be something like ftp.yurdomain.com. Instruct your visitors to use IE (eww!) to login with anonymous and their email address for a password. You can see instructions similar at FTP thru IE. In practice, this is bad for more than a few reasons.

As for an outside service, I don't have any personal experiences to share.

The 2Gb is going to be a gotcha. If some of your customers are on 256 Kb DSL or dial-up, they are not going to like sending you the big files. How have your marketed the site so far? The reason I ask is this. One can get a bunch of custom USB drives w/ your site logo and/or URL made up. When customers need to send you files, then you overnight them a drive, maybe in a nice gift box with your business card. They mail the drive back to you in a pre-paid envelope. a bit of an upfront investment, but maybe worth it.

Hi mhinton! I will check out that tutorial that you posted above. Why do you feel that the first route you suggest is bad? Security wise you mean or just because of the bandwidth and data transfer issues?

Yeah we realize that 2BG is huge! We also offer a mail in file service. Anyone who is on dialup etc would definitely not want to use the web transfer option and we've accounted for that. Most musicians would have their files on DVD, CDROM or external drive and could send them in to us that way. The 'drive loan' option is a good one though and I'll discuss that with my partner.

We have not really marketed the site as of yet as the studio has been private up until this point. We just finished the site and will be SEOing it and also doing other forms of marketing to promote the service.

These are all great options guys and I really appreciate the input. I'll let you know what we end up doing!

Thanks!

Ah Ok, that's good to know! Thanks Bruce!

Here is one solution,When your client registers,assign a password to be used with their only their ftp client.You then know what was uploaded and when as well

I personally use the WS_FTP Pro 9 and i have found NOTHING it does not know how to tranfer.From WMV files on up.It is usable right out of the box.Has very good tutorials built in Great help site with tutorials.Also gets you away from the "anonymous" ftp"s.This is a paid software so everyone may not like tha but does the job really well

T.J

Edited by sraphim

Here is one solution,When your client registers,assign a password to be used with their only their ftp client.You then know what was uploaded and when as well

I personally use the WS_FTP Pro 9 and i have found NOTHING it does not know how to tranfer.From WMV files on up.It is usable right out of the box.Has very good tutorials built in Great help site with tutorials.Also gets you away from the "anonymous" ftp"s.This is a paid software so everyone may not like tha but does the job really well

T.J

I would imagine setting up an FTP login per client would be safest way to go. I use SMART FTP myself, but my main concern is that FTP clients scare non-computer literate people. We are delving further into using You Send It as they may offer a solution. I'll post back with our experiences/findings!

Thanks all!