salguod

How Can I Get A Vbulletin Db Backup Without Admin Access?

That title ought to raise some eyebrows. :)

Here's the situation. I belong to a pretty active online community for the classic car I own. The site owner passed away and no one on the site has admin access to the vBulletin installation. There's also some other static pages on the site. We don't know who the hosting is with and we don't know when it will expire. The domain is paid up until late 2009.

It's been a couple of months and the site is mostly running OK, but I know that won't continue forever. The hosting will come due and the domain will expire. His wife is not returning calls or emails, which I can understand. Mostly, I think those in contact with her have been patient and not too pushy, but I don't know.

What I'm wondering is if there's a way to somehow get the vBulletin database. If the database could be acquired, we could move on, even to a new domain name without having to bother her to find his records. Certainly, it's a sticky situation. Also, how can we find out who is hosting his site?

I know it sounds perhaps a little shady, but there is years of info on our cars in that vBulletin database. He worked hard to build this community and I'd hate to see it lost.

If you have access to their domain administration panel you could do a database dump.

If you do a who is search on, for example, http://www.whois.sc , you might be able to tell where the site is hosted. If the hosting company isn't listed as such, you might be able to tell by the name server addresses.

Best of luck, but I doubt that the hosting company will grant access to you without the permission of the deceased owner's wife.

As far as I know, no one has access to anything, admin wise. I'm not sure anyone knows who hosts the site. I've sent a message to the closest thing we have as a site admin now to see what progress has been made.

If you do a who is search on, for example, http://www.whois.sc , you might be able to tell where the site is hosted. If the hosting company isn't listed as such, you might be able to tell by the name server addresses.

Best of luck, but I doubt that the hosting company will grant access to you without the permission of the deceased owner's wife.

Thanks, I've done the whois search, but I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at. It lists the IP as belonging to GoDaddy, so would they be the host or just the registrar? I've since discovered that he also owned the domain for another club site, but in that listing the club itself is the company, he's just the representative. We plan on contacting the moderators there to see what they're doing.

I certainly understand that the hosting company is not likely to be cooperative. I guess we'll have to cross that bridge when we get there. I'm trying to find out what our options are, if we have options. I need to go get on the vBulletin user's forum and ask there too.

On the results page from the who is search, look under the heading "Server Data". That might show the hosting company name. If it does not, then look in the registry data at the name server addresses. For example, all of my sites are set to XYZ.TOTALCHOICEHOSTING.COM . That is displayed in the who is data, and from that it is easy to assume that the sites are hosted at Total Choice.