Replacing Spybot S&d And Ad Aware

Mrs. Muddled

My friend has been using Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad Aware. She tells me her "freebies have run out" and she wants me to suggest programs that are well regarded that would replace these two. I use Shaw for everything so am not up to date on a/m programs.

What "free" programs would you suggest.

Thanks!

MM

My friend has been using Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad Aware. She tells me her "freebies have run out" and she wants me to suggest programs that are well regarded that would replace these two. I use Shaw for everything so am not up to date on a/m programs.

What "free" programs would you suggest.

Thanks!

MM

Spybot and free AD-AWARE Do not run out There maybe updates everyday but run out nope. Your friend got some bad advice from somebody I think.

Over the years, Adaware and Spybot S&D have released major versions of their free software.

Every so often, they stop supporting a particular version, stop making updates for that version.

They release all new versions (major builds) of the free software.

For example....If your friend has Adaware SE, that version of the software will no longer allow updates. Adaware 2007 still has updates but there is a newer version. Adaware 2008 is the latest version. Eventually, they will replace that too. :blink:

Lavasoft offers the CURRENT free software here: h**p://lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

Download the new version, remove the old.

Install the new and immediately update.

Up and running again on the same program but just the newer version of the program.

Antivirus programs: Avast and AVG are freebies that are quite popular.

Antispyware: Adaware, Spybot S&D

Edited by Samrc

Many thanks. I have forwarded this information to my friend.

MM

• 4 weeks later...

As has been stated these programs are free but I'd thought I'd add this. I personally use

SpywareBlaster - This stops a lot of infection by adding a list of known bad sites to the blocked lists of your web browser

Spybot S&D - I use this to immunize as well but I also scan with it once a month

SpywareTerminator - I use this to scan once a month and it can integrate with CLamAV so you get a spyware/malware/anti virus scan in one.

Had already run SpyBot and Adaware and neither caught the nasty little spyware program that was causing havoc on one machine I use. Added google pack (adds on to the google toolbar) free/standard version of Spyware Doctor to the machine and first pass it rid the computer of the offending program! h**p://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/google_pack/

Just proves the statement that was said earlier....No program can fully protect you. It's always a combination.

I've got two of carbonize's recommendations running on the network I maintain for our church.

Spybot Search & Destroy

Just make sure you've got the latest version, because there's an increment (5.0 or 5.1, I believe) that has some serious slowdown issues. 5.2 fixed it. I've got it set to start up on Windows login, auto-update its definitions, then shut down the active process. I've got Internet Helper turned on, but not TeaTimer. Also make sure you're downloading it from a reputable source, like the author - safer-networking.net, C'Net's downloads.com, or majorgeeks.com. There are fakes out there.

SpywareBlaster

This one is static - you update the settings every couple of weeks or so, and the protections stay in place, even when the program isn't running. If you pay for it, you can set it to auto-update.

I've got a couple more things running, as well:

FireFox plus NoScript

I'd feel naked, surfing without NoScript :yes:

I like being able to decide who gets to run scripts on my computer, temporarily or permanently, on a case by case basis, with the option to allow everything or block everything. Sweet!

Hosts File Manager plus eDexter

The Hosts File Manager from Geosoft ( http://dundats.mvps.org/Software/Index.htm ) can be set to automatically go to the mvps.org home page, download their latest hosts file, and use it as your own. It's another static defense - it starts up, checks for hosts file updates, makes them if necessary, then closes. I run it with eDexter ( http://accs-net.com/hosts/eDexter.html ), to keep it fast and clean.

At home, I've got all of the above, plus Kaspersky Antivirus on one machine (KAV rocks!), since I'm trying it out for the church. On the other, I've been trying out Threatfire. I'm going to either swap it out for KAV, or go to AVG Free on that machine, because Threatfire is just too twitchy for me. I tried it on a church computer, and it interpreted a Thunderbird update as a threat, and deleted the entire profile in response. Troubleshooting that little incident was fun... I switched her back to AVG (paid version, since "Free" is for personal use only).

I'll never let just one company dictate my entire defensive profile. Just call me paranoid. :)

~ Rosanne