Networking Sites

Mission

I was wondering if anyone here can explain the advantages of joining the networking sites such as Plaxo & LinkedIn. I've really not seen the benefit of such sites as outweighing the risks.

I don't see a real advantage of putting all your personal info online for strangers to see. Or maybe I have the wrong idea about the sites?

Humm, all your personal info online for strangers to see; I think madness :)

Exactly. Our personal information is already available online for a mere $2.95 (possibly less) at some sites, if people know your real name & can put 2+2 together (where you live, or how old you are).

Plaxo is really just a site to consolidate information from your various other social networking sites you belong to, so unless you belong to other networks, Plaxo won't be of much use to you.

LinkedIn is really a professional social networking site, and as such is focused on your professional info more than your personal info (albeit your job and such does include personal information obviously). It's a decent site for networking with business contacts and keeping track of them.

As far as privacy, most social networking sites these days allow you to share as much or as little information as you'd like, and to choose whether that information is public or only visible to your contacts. As long as you understand and utilize the privacy tools in each one, they aren't too bad for sharing personal information. I use various social networking, microblogging, photo and video sharing sites, and I don't feel like I'm too exposed. I choose what is public on each one and what is private to only my friends.

Something about Plaxo didn't seem right for me so the few times someone tried to invite me in I didn't do it. (I don't do social networking sites. I have a MySpace only because its the only way I could access my son's MySpace when he used it a while ago and I have some friends that are on it, and I tried FaceBook for a while but the game invitations and friends sending cyber-drinks drove me crazy and wasted time so I dropped off that.)

I am on LinkedIn with the free personal profile (which is here). It's a nice way to connect with old friends and colleagues and stay in touch and see who we know in common. It doesn't take much time at all, and it feels quite professional. They didn't ask for personal information that I was uncomfortable giving, and I'm very careful about that.