Apple Vs. Windows

Head Guru

I 100% disagree with you.

While linux, free BSD and all the open source OS's are wonderfull, windows has its place also.

Windows runs on 95%+ of all PC's in the united states. Like it or not, its here to stay. While the early renditions of windoze were laden with bugs and BSOD, the latest varients are getting much better. I have several dedicated server clients running Window Servers with incredible uptime figures. Sure on the flip side is the argument that there are more security flaws and holes and bugs in Windows then any other. I agree with that statement as well, but remember a OS that is a popular as windows will have that much more people looking on how to break it. However, we can not be arrogant and dismiss the Windows users. I mean afterall 99.2% of all visitors to these very forums are running a Windows Box.

I type this from my Windows 2000 box, on my Microsoft Wireless Keyboad and my Microsoft Wireless Mouse. I look over and stare at the five linux servers/workstations and ponder.... just ponder....

:D

We have to remember that if it was not for microsoft, computing may not have been advanced or as cheap as it is today.

Jim

Very true Thumbs Up

Myself I don't like a mac. Main reason is I can't do anything with it no matter how hard I try!

I perfer windows type pc myself because they are far more advanced and rule over mac systems in my opinion.

This is simply my opinion so plz don't flame me for it. :D

Windows runs on 95%+ of all PC's in the united states.  Like it or not, its here to stay.

And as such it has the support of the development community. The programs that were Apple's strength in the old days are now identical in functionality and ability to the PC version... often even down to the code base.

New program developers look at the difference in audience size and know they need to go PC to make the "big bucks" as well.

I really like Linux and used to work in a company that ran FreeBSD with HUGE success, but the company I am with now uses PC/MS/Windows and as such I need to do Visual Studio programming. Also, my side business does a lot of web designs and things like DreamWeaver, I've heard, work only marginally in emulators so I'm resigned to using Win XP as my home operating system.

It's really a shame because I think in the mid 80's Apple really had a chance and a great start on a good thing but they fell behind and MS took the initiative, spent the money, stole the technology (uhem) and made it happen for them. Call Microsoft what you will, they are nothing less than successful. [immoral? That's another discussion! :)]

I really love apples, especially the mac. If they were to be tossed out a window I'd no longer be able to enjoy them so, I guess, I'm in for apples over windows.

We have to remember that if it was not for microsoft, computing

may not have been advanced or as cheap as it is today.

That's not the only thing we have to remember. Some say that about

products made by forced child labour. Yea, it's everywhere and it's

really cheap; but, is that the sole measure of whether you should spend

your money on it? Can you really suspend all judgement about your

purchase just because it's cheap?

Microsoft has been convicted of illegal and monopolistic trade practices.

They didn't think their product could succeed on its own merit; they

knew they had to do illegal things to prop it up and remove competition.

Microsoft was found guilty. They do not "play well with others".

Call me a child of the 1960's; but, that's not the kind of company I want

to support. I care about where I spend my money. I didn't choose my wife

based on the cheapest or easiest model available, and I don't choose my

computing platform that way either. I've thought about where my money

will go, and I will avoid supporting an economic bully as best I can.

Sending money to a bully just makes a bigger bully. The moral and

ethical damage a company does is not reflected in its share price or in

the purchase price of its product offerings. That's not what I want.

"What we wanted to preserve was just not a good environment in which to

do programming, but a system around which a fellowship could form."

- Dennis Ritchie (co-originator of the Unix operating system)

If you have a T-Rex dinosaur bully in the same economic system as a

fellowship of cooperative ants, the T-Rex dominates. Big deal.

I'm a cooperative, fellowship kind of guy - I side with the ants.

If sheer numbers were a measure of goodness, we'd all mimic a hundred

billion common house flies and eat dung - they don't think about where

their product comes from either! Yuck!

That's not the only thing we have to remember. Some say that about

products made by forced child labour.

:) Same reason why I stopped wearing shoes. :(

I have to say I too would pick Windows over Apple, cost being a big reason. Your average Joe just isn't going to be able to afford many Apple products, hence the number one reason why Windows is everywhere and Apple has it's own specialized "fan group".

Lets not shoot ourselves in the foot though, just because Apple costs more, it's suppose to be better? Does that mean that free OS's don't have a leg to stand on?

Competition is good for everything though. I hope all OS's keep raising the bar, because in the end it will be the consumer that wins, hands down.

Your average Joe is only able to "afford" products for Windows because of the amount of piracy in the Windows world, Mitch... :(

It's not really a matter of price. Mac stuff is indeed a bit expensive but so is the Windows stuff.

I think it's all a matter of personal choice or technical reason (like needing to use some piece of hardware that only works on Mac/Windows). Just like the old war about "which one is better, Windows or Linux?" - It's not a matter of which one is the best. It's a matter of which one fits your needs and taste! :)

It's not a matter of which one is the best. It's a matter of which one fits your needs and taste! :)

Totally agree.

Anyway, now Macs now are more active & aggressive in both server & personal computers. You can see that by the new G5 & Mac OS X panther (the latest release of OS X). In the old days, people would say only pro graphic man would use a Mac, they simply make an assumption like "mac = for-graphics-only". However, at this moment, it is somehow not true, the new OS X brought many new features & many apps are developing for various use (compare to Windows apps, it is still "never" enough apps). Also, the price of mac did drop a lot.

In the past, I never thought about using Apple, however, inthe future, if there are plenty of budget on hands, I may choose to buy this state-of-the-art back home (mainly for "artistic" purpose) rather than a newer (& more powerful) pc with windows.

Your average Joe is only able to "afford" products for Windows because of the amount of piracy in the Windows world, Mitch...
True, but today you can buy a Windows based PC for under $500.. or heck even build one yourself for even less these days, and put whatever you want on it. (seeing that the "windows tax" is still included) :) Windows based PCs are just out there in the market more, thanks to Wal*Mart and other super centers.

It's not a matter of which one is the best. It's a matter of which one fits your needs and taste!

Exactly! Thumbs Up

Since for me I use my PC oh about 85% of the time for gaming, Windows is clearly my choice. Dance

I also know I used to have a web host running Windows, and let's just say downtimes were frequent. Maybe that's unfair, but oh well. I like Unix/Linux servers so much more.

I'm not ficle. I use what I use. But it seems Apple/Mac users are diehard fans who wouldn't dare think of using anything else. I don't get that either Whip