Recommendations For A Web Editor?

RickB

Hi,

I used to use FrontPage. But, since it's been discontinued, I'm looking for a replacement. I'm not a frequent "web weenie," but I do like to be able to tweak my site. I'm not a programmer by any stretch of the imagination. I want something more flexible than the template-driver site builders like in Fantastico, but, as I said, I'm not a programmer.

Also, I don't want to have to pay an arm and a leg.

Thoughts? Advice? Rants? Raves? Winning lottery ticket numbers?

Thanks, Rick

Edited by RickB

Are you looking for an HTML GENERATOR (you use a WYSIWYG interface) and the program creates the code for you?

Or are you looking for an HTML EDITOR (you edit the HTML directly)?

Several website software programs are highlighted and discussed on the forum on my website (hosted here at TCH of course). Many users of CSB (also discontinued) are shopping around for alternative software so the forum was started to help the search and provide some basic support along the way. Scroll about half way down the page to see the list of the software.

Most of the CSB folks are looking for a WYSIWYG environment so most of the programs we mention lean that way.

Site Spinner seems to be a very popular choice.

I was never a huge fan of Front Page, but do find the Expression Web software from Microsoft to be quite interesting.

But a few are HTML editors, including NVU which has gotten a nod. There's even a link to the NVU user guide.

Note that there is a different, newer version of NVU called Kompozer and it also has a link on the NVU discussion.

Edited by Samrc

I used to use FrontPage. But, since it's been discontinued, I'm looking for a replacement. I'm not a frequent "web weenie," but I do like to be able to tweak my site. I'm not a programmer by any stretch of the imagination. I want something more flexible than the template-driver site builders like in Fantastico, but, as I said, I'm not a programmer.

Also, I don't want to have to pay an arm and a leg.

Thoughts? Advice? Rants? Raves? Winning lottery ticket numbers?

I still use FrontPage for some things, and I don't plan to get Expression or move to some other huge expensive program.

I use the CoffeeCup software's - HTML Editor and several of their other products - their form builder, the Direct FTP software, and several of the others. They are inexpensive, offer a time-limited free trial period, and free upgrades.

Another program I used in the past was Arachnophilia which is freeware.

Smashing Magazine, which is excellent for designers and web-developers and worth subscribing to, has an article 25 Useful WYSIWYG Editors Reviewed which compares a lot and has a lot of comments.

Good luck finding the right one!