Switching From Blogger To Wordpress

OK... This latest screwup with Blogger publishing (or in this case, NOT publishing) via FTP has me ticked, but good.

I am seriously thinking about changing from Blogger to Wordpress, but have a couple of questions for anyone who might have traveled this road before me.

1) How easy is the installation on to the server for a someone with only a bare amount of tech knowledge/skills? I've read some of the installation instructions and they don't seem too complicated....

2) I currently host my blog at http://www.filmbuffonline.com/FilmBuffNewsreel.htm. Can I still use that or should I set up a subdomain like Newsreel.FilmBuffOnLine.com?

3) In addition to myself, I have to two contributors to the blog. What happens to their posts during migration from Blogger to WP?Do I need to have them become registered with the new Wordpress version before I migrate?

Thanks.

GAH! Just noticed a WordPress subforum. feel free to move thread there... *embarassed*

Installation is simple here using Fantastico in cPanel. Just a few click and you are ready to start using it. Adding a theme is simple enough if you find one you like. Otherwise designing a theme may be a challenge.

I migrated from Blogger to MT and then to WordPress but WordPress comes with a script to migrate your Blogger posts. Once installed go into the Admin interface select Manage --> Import --> Blogger

As for multiple authors I don't think it will import them as individual authors but once migrated they will be able to post new content once you add them.

And yes, it would be better to create a subdomain.

Installation is simple here using Fantastico in cPanel. Just a few click and you are ready to start using it. Adding a theme is simple enough if you find one you like. Otherwise designing a theme may be a challenge.

I migrated from Blogger to MT and then to WordPress but WordPress comes with a script to migrate your Blogger posts. Once installed go into the Admin interface select Manage --> Import --> Blogger

As for multiple authors I don't think it will import them as individual authors but once migrated they will be able to post new content once you add them.

And yes, it would be better to create a subdomain.

Thanks for the advice.

I got everything installed OK, though I used FrontPage instead of Fantastico. (I'm just more comfortable with FP after 6 years of use...)

Good news is that if you register your other writers, when you import a multiwriter blog, WP will let you assign each author to their old Blogger posts!

I only have one question.

I've found a theme that I like, but want to tweak it just a bit. (add stuff into the footer, remove one small thing out of the header, drop some code into one of the sidebars...)

To allow FP to edit the themes the site's instructions read-

In a WordPress install, two files that you will probably want to alter are the index page, and the css which controls the layout. Here's how you change index.php - the process is the same for any file. In the screenshot below, look at the last column - that shows the permissions. It looks a bit confusing, but for now just note the sequence of letters.

Right-click 'index.php' and select 'File Permissions'

A popup screen will appear.

However, when I try to right click on index.php, either in its original website diretory on my harddrive or in the FrontPage publishing window, I don't get a "File Permissions" option.

What am I doing wrong?

OK, I was able to make my modifications using a text editor and then upload them. (What an educational weekend this has been!)

However, I have stumbled across another problem.

When I went to create a new post, I wanted to add in a picture. With Blogger, I would pick the picture from my laptop and publish it to a folder on my site. I tried to do that with WP, but got the following error-

"Unable to create directory /home/"cpanel User ID"/public_html/FBOLNewsreel/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/06. Is its parent directory writable by the server?"

I replaced my real user id with "cpanel User ID".

Do I still have to change those file permissions for index and css? If so, can you recommend a good freeware FTP program?

My continued thanks...

Edited by FilmBuffRich

This is a known issue and there are work arounds for it. I personally either FTP the image to where I want it and create a link. But if I am lazy, I use a program called BlogDesk which is a WYSIWYG editor that also has built in FTP capability. Worth a look.