Ftp - A Local Program Or A Site Script. Pro/con

mporter88

Hello all. Hope everyone is well and hoping Don is having a great trip.

Enough religion...

I have a dedicated tch server and play host for a few odd projects.

One of these is involving the occasional client upload of a huge file package.

I set them up with an FTP folder, explained how things worked, had them get filezilla and walked them throught the login.

All is well.

Now however they are asking me why they cannot have a "site based" upload option wherein their clients can login and upload to the ftp directory directly from the website without having to install and configure a local TP client like filezilla.

In my head I say to myself... you do it this way because that is the way I do it...but I cant really say that outloud since I was cured of foot in mouth disease back in my aerospace days (Hughes EODSG).

Anyway...I know that I personally dont like those webpage based upload systems because they to me seem balky and hiccupish and usually not "batch" friendly..but I dont know enough to defend my position....which may be totally wrong anyway.

So can anyone tell me why (or if) a local copy of filezilla (or whatever) is "better" than some script or applet on a webpage? Opinions welcome.

Also, because I know how people are...if you have tried some sort of ftp upload widget that worked ok...can you tell me what it is?

Thanks very much for all the help over the years.

One thing I have learned through this process of hosting and then having a dedicated server...

"It is almost never TCH's fault when things break......and almost always their fault when it gets fixed."

What more can a perpetual nube ask for?

Thanks to everyone.

mporter88

So why should they use an FTP client over a web based upload using PHP or what ever? For one thing FTP always works and requires a valid username/password to upload anything. Scripts use the http transport system (web server) to do the uploading and all files are uploaded as the user "nobody". As such limits have to be imposed to the size of files that can be uploaded. The default is usually 2MB and people want to upload much larger files than that. Since you have a dedicated server you can probably adjust that setting pretty easily.

If your customers are wanting something web based I recommend that you check out hotscripts.com for something to use. Just remember what ever you use make sure to limit them to only allow .zip, .mp3, .jpg and other file types you might want. Be sure not to let people upload .php, .pl, .cgi or any other scripts they can in turn run on your server.

Thank You.

So why should they use an FTP client over a web based upload using PHP or what ever? For one thing FTP always works and requires a valid username/password to upload anything. Scripts use the http transport system (web server) to do the uploading and all files are uploaded as the user "nobody". As such limits have to be imposed to the size of files that can be uploaded. The default is usually 2MB and people want to upload much larger files than that. Since you have a dedicated server you can probably adjust that setting pretty easily.

If your customers are wanting something web based I recommend that you check out hotscripts.com for something to use. Just remember what ever you use make sure to limit them to only allow .zip, .mp3, .jpg and other file types you might want. Be sure not to let people upload .php, .pl, .cgi or any other scripts they can in turn run on your server.

I prefer FTP. On our computers here in the office, it seems we get a faster response with FTP.

But if that is not their cup of tea, wouldn't a strong PHP form script that allows file upload work? There are several PHP form scripts with that capability that allows you to control file size and type as Bruce suggests. And if you put that form on a webpage in a password protected directory, you would add a layer of security AND be able to see who accessed the form (each person would have their own user name/password easily set up in cPanel).