Cron Question

Hi everyone,

I've got an idea for a site that would run Cron jobs fairly frequently. However, I don't want to try my idea if it would cause problems (overloading?) on the server, since I'm on a shared server. So my question is, how often is "safe" to run a Cron job? I see I can run as often as one minute (which I've done for short stretches while testing), but I don't know if it's a good idea to run that often 24/7. Any thoughts on that?

Dave

davidabarak [at] gmail.com

Depends on the job you intend to run. If it is very CPU intensive it's going to get you in trouble running it very frequently. Without knowledge of what you intend to do all we can do is guess. If you would like to know more you can open a ticket with the help desk and tell them what you are intending to do and they would be able to give you an idea of how often you would be able to run the job without getting yourself into trouble.

Depends on the job you intend to run. If it is very CPU intensive it's going to get you in trouble running it very frequently. Without knowledge of what you intend to do all we can do is guess. If you would like to know more you can open a ticket with the help desk and tell them what you are intending to do and they would be able to give you an idea of how often you would be able to run the job without getting yourself into trouble.

Sounds good -- thanks Bruce! FYI, I'm not actually planning to run once a minute of course, and I have a feeling what I plan to do is quick and easy, but I'll submit a ticket once I'm closer to trying out what I'm thinking of.

Dave