Vista! You Can Have It!

Well, I finally took the bull by the horns and set up this new computer. I have three words to share with you: I'M NOT HAPPY!!! Vista!!! What on earth have Microsoft done? :) What did they think was wrong with Windows XP? My goodness, talk about a convoluted mess. I am finding it extremely difficult to find my way around. Never felt that way with XP. Everything was so obvious.

So far I have no sound or printer, but I have managed to download a new driver for my scanner. I'm going to have to buy a new USB connection for my printer.

I am having a terrible time with the size of the text. The only text I can see is what I'm typing in this box. I've set Vista to 200 dpi. The screen resolution is 1280 x 1024 Your site and every other site has such a tiny font I am unable to see it unless I put my nose on the doggoned screen. How can I get it set back the way it was in Windows XP?

Nothing is ever simple, is it?

Mrs Muddled,

My old laptop came pre-installed with Vista Home Basic, and what I done was changed the OS on it to XP. Took a little while to get all the drivers for it, but I got it working and it began a gem, that was until I accidentally split a glass of water on the machine :)

Vista is a little difficult to get used to, but there is some little tweaks you can do, like turning off that annoying popup warning everytime you want to install a program.

As for your display, try this. Go to desktop, right click, properties, Display ... see if you can change your screen resolution to a lower one. You should be able to reduce it without a problem.

MY suggestion is take it to a shop and have the hard drive completely wiped clean. And then have them put a fresh install of XP on it. I plan on getting a new laptop sometime at the end of the year and that is what I will have done. I will not use vista.

So far I have no sound

Sound should be fine since that came pre-installed with the computer. Check the connections and the volume controls, make sure they are on and turned up.

I'm going to have to buy a new USB connection for my printer.

You have a new computer and the USB ports on it should be the latest and greatest, why do you believe you need to purchase new ones?

The screen resolution is 1280 x 1024 Your site and every other site has such a tiny font I am unable to see it unless I put my nose on the doggoned screen.

That could be a combination of adjustments. You can mess around with the screen resolution as mentioned and lower it (raise) to 1024 x 768. Next you can mess around with the fonts or "view" in Internet Explorer. IE comes with a TEXT SIZE option and its probably set to "smallest" or "smaller", raise that to "largest" and see if that helps the old eyes a little :)

Nothing is ever simple, is it?

Nope.

I went to IE text LARGEST ... I can still hardly see it.

I am probably missing the forest for the trees with this ... but ... I can't give up on this

Vista horror ... because I know eventually we are going to be forced to use it. So, it's inevitable. I can't believe I'm having so much trouble getting around on it!!!!

When I look at the screen now much the page is off the screen so I have to scroll to see the whole thing. I'm even having to thrash around to use my mouse properly. I can't just swipe to the left corner for example. It just wants to function within a small circle. What's with that?

I'm going to switch back to my old keyboard and mouse and see if that makes a difference.

When I look at the screen now much the page is off the screen so I have to scroll to see the whole thing.

You need to work on a couple things to get the browser to look the way you want. When you change screen resolutions it keeps the original window size which may expand the window sometimes outside the screen width. You need to manually grab the sides and resize the window to fit inside the new screen size.

Along with adjusting the window size you need to adjust the resolution and the fonts to come up with a window that is acceptable to you. I would start with a resolution of 800 x 600 and largest font and see how that looks. If too big decrease the font size. If still still not good increase the resolution to 1024 x 768...play around until you fins something you like. And you may need to mess with the window size each time you change the resolution.

Sound should be fine since that came pre-installed with the computer. Check the connections and the volume controls, make sure they are on and turned up.

Everything looks good. Just not working with new machine. I spotted some remarks the other day re Vista updates and a sound problem. I'll have to check into it further. I have Boston Acoustics sub woofer and two satellite speakers. All the lights are on, volume up and I can hear that the electricity is running in the speakers.

You have a new computer and the USB ports on it should be the latest and greatest, why do you believe you need to purchase new ones?]

I was using a parallel connection with my old computer. This one doesn't have a connection like that so I will need to buy a USB cord. Can't find the one that came with the printer. Of course.

Drop your resolution down to 1024 x 768 as they have already said. And you can right click on your desktop and bring up properties and adjust the font settings.
Bless you. I was thinking because it came with the slider at max that that was the way it was supposed to work best. You were so right about the 1024 x 768. I am VERY happy with the results.

I still haven't got my picture the right size. Still too big for my 17" screen. I'll fiddle with it tomorrow.

I have settled down now. I thought I'd have to take a hammer to Vista. Talk about convoluted!!! Anyhow, all is well on the home front. I've transferred all our files over and we are almost back to normal. Don't appreciate big learning curves like that. I don't know why they felt they had to change the names of everything. I still haven't found the file manager ... or whatever the heck they used to call it. Windows explorer?

You guys are just so darn great. I want you to know how much I appreciate the fact that you are there. :) Now if I can just get some sound out of this thing so I can listen to all those how to tutorials ... and print something ... I'll be happy ... for awhile. :rolleyes:

I was using a parallel connection with my old computer.

Ahhh, then you may have a differnt problem. Hopefully the printer comes with both connections, parallel and USB, and the simple fix will be to just purchase a USB cable.

I still haven't found the file manager ... or whatever the heck they used to call it. Windows explorer?

Right-click on the START button (the MS flag in the round globe on the task bar) and select EXPLORE.

I still haven't got my picture the right size. Still too big for my 17" screen.

As I mentioned earlier you need to manually resize your windows. Find a corner and move the mouse over it until it turns into a double ended arrow. Click hold and drag the corner in and the window shrink in size. Then click and hold the blue Title bar at the top and position it where you want it. Once you have it the size and the place you want it all the time, click the "x" in the top right corner to close the window. Windows will remember this new size and will open it that way from now on.

Right-click on the START button (the MS flag in the round globe on the task bar) and select EXPLORE.

Gotcha! Hee hee ... Bob, I really did know where the start button was. Honest! ;)

As I mentioned earlier you need to manually resize your windows. Find a corner and move the mouse over it until it turns into a double ended arrow. Click hold and drag the corner in and the window shrink in size. Then click and hold the blue Title bar at the top and position it where you want it. Once you have it the size and the place you want it all the time, click the "x" in the top right corner to close the window. Windows will remember this new size and will open it that way from now on.

Yep, I know that too. BUT ... the windows that I am having a bit of a problem shrinking down are not the ones that you can grab and shrink by their corners.

Edited by Mrs. Muddled

Sound system not functioning:

Everything looks good. Just not working with new machine. I spotted some remarks the other day re Vista updates and a sound problem. I'll have to check into it further. I have Boston Acoustics sub woofer and two satellite speakers. All the lights are on, volume up and I can hear that the electricity is running in the speakers..

Continuing my comments re the lack of sound. I've checked everything to do with sound on the new computer. Everything says it's functioning. Yes the volume is turned up and no, I do not have it on mute.

Can you tell me why my sound system is showing as Realtek High Definition Audio ... when my system is Boston Acoustics?

I have Boston Acoustics sub woofer and two satellite speakers.
Can you tell me why my sound system is showing as Realtek High Definition Audio ... when my system is Boston Acoustics?

Boston Acoustics are your speakers, the "sound system" you are refering to is the sound card in your PC which is detected by Windows as Realtek High Definition Audio.

I take it you have taken the speakers from your old system and connected them to your new system. Somewhere you either have them connected wrong or they will not work on your new system.

Is the speaker jack connected to the correct outlet ?

I have everything connected just like the pictures that come with my Boston system.

When I go into the sound system to check everything ... it says everything is connected.

What is confusing is this: On the Compaq Presario installation sheet it shows a speaker instruction of a green tipped jack going into the back of the computer (out) and a green tipped jack going into the back of my screen (audio in).

On the Boston Acoustics sound system it shows a very different hook up path.

Note: My screen is a Samsung SyncMaster 710M. Until I installed this new computer, my sound was set up to come through the (terrible) speakers in the screen. There is a thin black cord that used to go into the back of the screen and into the harddrive. I tried plugging that cord into the harddrive and I got sound ... but it was very flawed sound ... just a short noise.

Check out the two pictures I am attaching if you would. You may see something very obvious that I am overlooking.

post-7242-1210014953_thumb.jpg

post-7242-1210014975_thumb.jpg

Boston Acoustics are your speakers, the "sound system" you are refering to is the sound card in your PC which is detected by Windows as Realtek High Definition Audio.

I take it you have taken the speakers from your old system and connected them to your new system. Somewhere you either have them connected wrong or they will not work on your new system.

Wow! I never thought of that ... the speakers actually not working with my new computer. How sad would that be? Why on earth would speakers not work. The sub woofer has never even been used. I had to send back my original one because of a loose wire. This one is fresh out of the box.

Thanks for clearing up the RealTek issue. I guess I'm showing my abyssmal ignorance once again. This is soooo not my area of expertise! Whatever would I do without y'all?

The hilarious thing is: In my circle of friends I am considered the computer expert! Can you believe it?

Both of those pictures seems to show a similar thing.

You need to connect a lead from the green output socket on the computer into wherever you want to use your sound ( I'm assuming the Boston speaker system ). The other picture you pasted was for if you wanted to use the speakers in your monitor, which I assume you don't.

Both of those pictures seems to show a similar thing.

You need to connect a lead from the green output socket on the computer into wherever you want to use your sound ( I'm assuming the Boston speaker system ). The other picture you pasted was for if you wanted to use the speakers in your monitor, which I assume you don't.

Yes. That bottom picture is the only instructions that came with the Compaq Presario. I don't want to use the speakers in the screen. I was kind of surprised that was the only instruction for speakers ... I would have thought most people would want good exterior speakers and not the tinny ones that come with the flat screens.

So, here I sit, everything plugged in and nothin' workin'.

I've run all the tests that come on the new computer for sound problems. All to no avail. I've written to Boston Acoustics ... no answer yet.

OMG!!! If you think I was confused before ... :)

I just paid for and downloaded Driver Detective to see if perchance I needed a new driver.

Well Driver Detective has found quiite a few things that apparently need new drivers.

Now I'm so over my head .... oh lordy ....

I've tried downloading some drivers. I get info alerts that refer me to other sites ... sites that are just masses of numbers and information I've never even heard of! There are continual directions for so many of these driver updates that it is quite intimidating.

So I actually did download "something" to do with RealTek, which is my sound card. Didn't do a thing.

I have discovered that I am able to hear my Boston sound system if I put earphones on. That tells me that my sound system is analog ... whatever the *%$ that means.

It was at the suggestion of Boston Acoustics that I contact RealTek.

I'm going for a walk ....................

Ya right Bruce!

Okay ... so I walked 4 miles ... hopefully I am oxygenated and my brain will work better.

Everything is plugged in and working ... except the sound. It sure sounds great through my headphones!

I am going to try to get someone from RealTek to answer.

Ya right Bruce!

Okay ... so I walked 4 miles ... hopefully I am oxygenated and my brain will work better.

Everything is plugged in and working ... except the sound. It sure sounds great through my headphones!

I am going to try to get someone from RealTek to answer.

Your sound problem is not your computer nor is it your Boston Acoustics speakers. Had the same problem when I purchased a new desktop and had to buy a new set of speakers.

Looking at the pictures/wiring diagrams it appears you have the same one's I did, probably from Gateway computer. These Boston Acoustics speakers need a digital/fixed Auxilary output from the sound card in the computer. Correct me if I am wrong but those speakers came with your old computer as a package. The sound card was probably a Sound Blaster brand card and the speakers were matched up with it.

I would try a new set of speakers, Logitech is my choice. Take all of this with a grain of salt cause I have been wrong many times in the past and probably many times in the future.

Good Luck!

Chip

Thank you so much for your reply Chip.

I really appreciate that you reinforced what I was fairly confident of ... I HAVE done everything right ... it just aint workin'! Yes, you and I have the same computer history.

Today I spent HOURS on chat with various HP techs. This is not the first time. I've totted up hours with this gang, trying to figure out why I can't get sound through my really excellent external speakers.

So, after spending those hours, doing everything as directed a gazillion times ... I still have no sound coming from my wonderful Boston Acoustics speakers. Too bad. So sad.

So, my conclusion is ... YOU are right Chip. It is an impossible situation ... sad ... but ... that's the way she goes folks! I'll just have to settle for plugging in those gawdawful tinny monitor speakers and bite it.

I don't want to spend anymore money ... on new speakers that will also be rendered useless when I buy my next computer, so that's the end of the saga folks. Thanks for your input.

Let me know the instant one of you has figured out how to make these really nice Boston Acoustics speakers of mine work ... okay?

Mrs Muddled,

I done a little search around to see if anyone else had the same issue and I found a guy on a forum I am linked with who had the same problem. However, he got his to work. This is his post:

if your realtek audio card has a phono rca type digital output you can buy an adapter at radioshack to go from a phono plug to 1/8" mini stereo adapter for about 5 dollars then you will need to find a decently sheilded phono/rca wire and use this to connect from the card to your subwoofer 1/8 input and it will work i just got mine to work doing this

Mrs Muddled,

I done a little search around to see if anyone else had the same issue and I found a guy on a forum I am linked with who had the same problem. However, he got his to work. This is his post:

Thanks so much guys for your suggestions on this continuing speaker saga.

In desperation I got on line with HP once again last night. I got yet another suggestion from yet another tech. This one is very like the one you are suggesting. I have not bought the cord as yet ... but it will likely be the swan song when it comes to this epic. Fingers crossed.

"Purchase a 1/8 to 1/8 male stereo connecting wire or check if it has been shipped with the PC. Remove the digital cable from the back of the computer and from the subwoofer.

Take the new 1/8 to 1/8 stereo male connector, plug one end into the analog input of the subwoofer and the other end into the computer.

Then take the speaker wire that you removed from the analog input of the subwoofer and plug it into the other satellite speaker.

Check if it works.

Also, please make a note of the session ID: ----------so that next tech can view the case without you explaining the whole thing altogether and see the troubleshooting steps you already performed.

We are committed to helping you with any questions you may have about your product. If you would like to attempt another chat interaction, please visit the following Web site:"

My 2 cents...

Why keep messing around with the old ... if you're going to spend a few bucks, just spend a few more for a new speaker system.

Here's one like yours for 25 dollars.

h_tp://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1820052&sku=L23-7102

My 2 cents...

Why keep messing around with the old ... if you're going to spend a few bucks, just spend a few more for a new speaker system.

Here's one like yours for 25 dollars.

h_tp://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1820052&sku=L23-7102

Gulp. Is that all they cost? :lol:

Never having actually purchased a sound system, I figured they were expensive. I never even onsidered buying new ones.

Sheesh Bob ... this system I have is brand new!!! That sooo goes against my thrifty nature.

I was hoping to beat this problem into submission before I roll over and belly up. :)

So I checked out that website. I was very surprised! I live in Canada and I have a feeling they would cost a lot more once I had them shipped up here. I'll go to a computer store and browse around ... see how much more something like that would be here. Always more expensive than buying in the US.

Edited by Mrs. Muddled

Sorry I missed this earlier but I just noticed that you have Realtek High Definition Audio. I don't think your speakers are the issue as I had the same problem recently. If this is the case, it is very simple to fix.

There should be a second speaker icon by your clock labeled "Realtek HD Audio Manager", click on this icon. When the window opens, you will see two tabs (Digital Output, Speakers), select the Speakers tab, locate and click the Set Default Device button. Click OK and test your sound.

If you do not have this icon, got to your Control Panel then Hardware and Sound then Manage Audio Devices. Under the Playback tab, locate the device labeled Speakers, it should have a green check mark on it. If it does not have the green check mark, then right click the device icon and select Set as Default Device. Then right click the icon again and select test.

Hopefully this will fix your issue.

Sorry I missed this earlier but I just noticed that you have Realtek High Definition Audio. I don't think your speakers are the issue as I had the same problem recently. If this is the case, it is very simple to fix.

There should be a second speaker icon by your clock labeled "Realtek HD Audio Manager", click on this icon. When the window opens, you will see two tabs (Digital Output, Speakers), select the Speakers tab, locate and click the Set Default Device button. Click OK and test your sound.

If you do not have this icon, got to your Control Panel then Hardware and Sound then Manage Audio Devices. Under the Playback tab, locate the device labeled Speakers, it should have a green check mark on it. If it does not have the green check mark, then right click the device icon and select Set as Default Device. Then right click the icon again and select test.

Hopefully this will fix your issue.

Yikes, I should have thought of that. I had a similar issue when I installed my VoIP. It changed the default playback to the VoIP instead of my Sound Blaster Surround Sound System, **gives self a forehead slap**

Hope this sorts things for your Mrs Muddled :)

I only get "one" tab and that is Speakers. I am not given the option of setting the default device button. I get the green checkmarks ... it says everything is working. It isn't.

Again, I get the green checkmark but I am not given the option of setting a default.

Yep, and if you just go with two speakers and forget the woofer it can get cheaper.
I'm going to Colorado in a few weeks. I think I'll get one of those Logitech systems and some more RAM sent to our address there and give you guys a break. I take it there is no question of one of those systems playing nice with my Compaq Presario??????

Ok forgive me for being lazy and not reading the thread fully.

Now that I have read it all and that you stated you only have the Speakers tab, it seems I was taking you in the opposite direction as you need the digital output. With that said you can but a decent set of speakers or a new sound card, can pick up either for a fair price.

Ok forgive me for being lazy and not reading the thread fully.

Now that I have read it all and that you stated you only have the Speakers tab, it seems I was taking you in the opposite direction as you need the digital output. With that said you can but a decent set of speakers or a new sound card, can pick up either for a fair price.

Thanks Dick. I appreciate your comments.

It just occurred to me that buying new speakers in Colorado and trying to get them on the plane home ... ya right! Like that's gonna happen. :) Can't you just visualize me trying to walk on that plane with all those boxes of electronics? Sigh. They'd be calling out the SWAT team! :rules: