Adding Ram And Switching To Avg & Zone Alarm

Mrs. Muddled

Hi guys!

My computer is running really slow. I've only got 512 MB in it. It's a Gateway E-3600 series desktop PC. It came with 256 MB RAM and I added another one. I still have one empty slot. I don't even have high speed USB ports and the New Passport portable hard drive I bought takes HOURS to back up stuff like photos. I have a ton of photos on the computer ... all are already backed up on to CD's and stick drives of various sizes.

I've run a Crucial on it and I'll post a couple of screen shots so you can see the option they are suggesting.

I just have a 32 bit version of Windows.

I could just go buy a new computer with all the bells and whistles - this one must be about 4 -5 years old - I've forgotten.

Before I do something this drastic I am considering this option: I use Shaw Secure because it's free with my cable hook up. It's a huge memory hog. I am seriously considering dumping it and going back to something simple like AVG and Zone Alarm. They both worked like a charm before I got cable. They are both considered to be good protection from everything I've read and they are not constantly hogging the machine. I have to admit I'm a little nervous at the thought of dumping Shaw.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

post-7242-1208555992_thumb.jpg

post-7242-1208556011_thumb.jpg

Regards,

I personally use AVG cause it dosent take much system resources. Even though I have 2.5GB RAM in my PC, I still prefer to run programs that use low system resources. A program that uses high resources will slow your PC, sometimes even crash it if there is not enough RAM, this is something I have noticed over the years.

My opinon to you would be to try AVG before making a decision to go out and buy a new system if your happy with what you have. But upgrades are always like getting a new toy when your a child. So a new PC maybe an option for the future also, but I would try AVG first. (Just my opinon).

My computer is running really slow. I've only got 512 MB in it. It's a Gateway E-3600 series desktop PC. It came with 256 MB RAM and I added another one. I still have one empty slot. I don't even have high speed USB ports and the New Passport portable hard drive I bought takes HOURS to back up stuff like photos. I have a ton of photos on the computer ... all are already backed up on to CD's and stick drives of various sizes.

How much memory is it possible to put into your machine? I just upgraded my 512mb machine at work with 1gb and it's worked wonders. If your machine can take 1gb or more I would opt for the new memory as it is currently pretty cheap these days.

Thanks for the replies Zac and Bruce - just spotted your reply Bruce.

Yes, the machine crashes regularly now. I am finding that far too often it locks up when I'm least expecting it ... and I have to resort to turning the power bar on and off ... which I don't like to have to do.

Do you have a comment on the adding of more RAM? Do you think I should dump the two 256 MB cards and get three 512 MB? Or is that overkill. Did you see the screenshots?

The computer can handle 1536 MB.

I haven't been down to any of the local computer shops to check prices, but I would imagine it would be over $200.00 for two 512 MB upgrades.

While I've got your attention - how necessary is it for me to buy one of those ground wrist things? I've opened up the tower before without killing myself. I added the last upgrade by myself (insert loud cheering and applause here :tchrocks: )

Edited by Mrs. Muddled

Memory is almost always a good investment...UNLESS its expensive and it would make more sense to purchase a newer PC. Both the prices of memory and PC have come down but there is still the problem of determining whether memory will make your system faster or not.

Now memory is also not a simple process of just running to the store (or web), finding a stick at a low price and sticking it into your computer and off you go. There are different types of memory out there and you need to be sure you buy the type that works in your computer.

how necessary is it for me to buy one of those ground wrist things? I've opened up the tower before without killing myself.

LOL, those wrist straps are actually to protect the computer not you. You may be carrying a static charge which will damage some components in the computer. And PLEASE unplug the compter before you start messing around on the inside, we want to keep you around a little longer :)

Oh my goodness! You must really think I'm a total bubble head!!! :rolleyes: Sometimes my sense of humour gets lost on the typed page I guess.

Believe me, I have spent MANY hours fretting over this. I was under the impression that the memory Crucial said I needed for my particular Gateway computer was pretty specific. Did you see my printout?

I've already added one stick of RAM to my machine and cleaned it out with no tragic outcome. :)

Re: The wrist thing. You didn't really think I would leave it plugged in did you? Say "no." I just wondered if anyone actually uses one when they open up their computer to add RAM and blow out the dust. Obviously "somebody" in-the-know must have told me the first time around that I didn't really need to wear one of those things. You know I never do anything to the computer without asking a million questions before I jump.

So, off I went to Staples. Lo and behold the particular RAM I need for my somewhat aged computer is out of stock. He had one in the back and it was $119.00!!! I needed three! He laughs and says, "I can sell you a computer for about as much as it is going to cost you to add the three sticks of memory."

I tell him to show me that computer. He shows me a Compac Presario SR5250 NDT @ $377.00 + $100.00 off that! He tells me that in future, always buy the extra memory for the empty slot within the first year. Makes sense now. He explained to me how the one I need is so old ... that is why it's expensive.

I think it was 1 G with a second slot that I could buy for $90.00. $64.00 for the added 2 yr warranty. Manufacturer's warranty is only for the first year.

So, I leave - the wind now totally out of my sails. I've come home to see what my trusty TCH forum says - before I leap into the breach.

I really don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a new computer. Who does? I'm going to hit Costco and see what they have on sale. They will probably have something with all the bells and whistles - Huge monitor - t v recording ability - all that stuff mine doesn't have.

He tells me that in future, always buy the extra memory for the empty slot within the first year. Makes sense now. He explained to me how the one I need is so old ... that is why it's expensive.

That's poppycock. The machine I upgraded was 6-years old. It said to use PC-2100 memory. I put PC-3200 memory into it. Total cost of 2-512mb sticks was $54.

I tell him to show me that computer. He shows me a Compac Presario SR5250 NDT @ $377.00 + $100.00 off that!

And you didn't come home with it? With taxes thats around $350 and a steal, but its probably an older model that are trying to get off the shelves to make room for newer models. These are the "deals" I generally look for :rolleyes:. The computers are not the latest and greatest but they are still way faster than what I have and will be great for 3-5 more years.

I was under the impression that the memory Crucial said I needed for my particular Gateway computer was pretty specific.

Ok, I was just making sure you (or someone) did the research. I've had too many folks bring me their PC to get the memory working only to find they got the wrong type.

You didn't really think I would leave it plugged in did you? Say "no."
No, but I always have to say that to be safe :)

I think it was 1 G with a second slot that I could buy for $90.00.

Buying memory form local stores is always more expensive, you can usually find in online or mail order cheaper.

$64.00 for the added 2 yr warranty.

Boy do I hate these ripoffs, stores are making huge profits on unnecessary "insurance". They are betting you that your product will NOT fail in two years and they are holding "the bet"...the odds are in their favor, yet folks still take the bet and throw away more money :(

Updated my ram in my desktop at home to 3gb, and my old laptop from 256 to 2gb.

Both updates made the machines run so much better. Cheapest way to extend the life of a machine! Makes your old machine 'feel' like a new pc. Highly recommend if the rest of the machine is stable.

I have used CRUCIAL for my memory cards 4 times. Every time the memory is completely compatible and have had no problems with the memory. Did not have as good of luck buying from a local retailer. Bought the type needed. Unfortunately, it was NOT fully compatible with my machine. Caused havoc. Returned it and returned to Crucial too. Was cheaper and it has always worked right the first time.

Have used AVG and Zone alarm at different times on different machines. Not using it currently but both programs worked fine for me. Both easy to manipulate and lightweight.

These are the "deals" I generally look for . The computers are not the latest and greatest but they are still way faster than what I have and will be great for 3-5 more years.

Yup. That's how I got my little laptop! Don't use it often, but it does come in handy sometimes.

Edited by Samrc

That's poppycock. The machine I upgraded was 6-years old. It said to use PC-2100 memory. I put PC-3200 memory into it. Total cost of 2-512mb sticks was $54.
Bruce I would need three to maximize the RAM. If I can get a computer for 377.00 It probably makes more sense to do that than spend about $200.00 on memory. I will check around, but I don't think I'm going to find prices like you got. Even Crucial's prices would be a couple of hundred bucks.

And you didn't come home with it? With taxes thats around $350 and a steal, but its probably an older model that are trying to get off the shelves to make room for newer models. These are the "deals" I generally look for :rolleyes: . The computers are not the latest and greatest but they are still way faster than what I have and will be great for 3-5 more years.

Ok, I was just making sure you (or someone) did the research. I've had too many folks bring me their PC to get the memory working only to find they got the wrong type.

No, but I always have to say that to be safe :)

Buying memory form local stores is always more expensive, you can usually find in online or mail order cheaper.

Boy do I hate these ripoffs, stores are making huge profits on unnecessary "insurance". They are betting you that your product will NOT fail in two years and they are holding "the bet"...the odds are in their favor, yet folks still take the bet and throw away more money :(

I wont be buying the extra store insurance. I think I'll go back tomorrow and pay the $377.00 - 100.00. Works for me.

I wont be buying the extra store insurance. I think I'll go back tomorrow and pay the $377.00 - 100.00. Works for me.

Ok, but before you go make one stop by the Windows Upgrade site and check your hardware and software to make sure its compatable with Vista. You don't want to get home with your new PC and find out that your favorite program will not work. this will at least prepare you and you can decide if its a show stopper before hand.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...adeadvisor.mspx

Yup.... besides software that you are running on your current machine, check that your printer and other external equipment can be used with the new machine.

Sometimes moving to a new operating system (from xp to vista) can cause larger $$ problems and cause even more upgrades!

Hi guys:

Hmm? Never thought of that of course.

I have a Canoscan lide 60 scanner and a HP Deskjet 5550.

This is where I'm really going to show my abysmal ignorance. :) These are the only two pieces of equipment I can think of that I have that will be hooked up to the new computer.

I am sitting here with THE BOX containing my new Compaq Presario PC SR5250NX Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor E2140 Bi-processeur Intel Pentium E2140.

1024MB/Mo

320GB/Go

DVD+RW Lightscribe

Windows Vista Home Premium

I got it for $300.00 plus change. How could I say "no?"

I never thought about it not working with my scanner and printer. Sigh. Gawd, they make everything soooo complicated!!!

I don't even know where to begin to find out if those two things work with bloody Vista. They are probably going to give me all sorts of information I wont understand about drivers and things of that ilk. I do not do drivers!

I am dreading unhooking this computer and starting all over from scratch. I think I was smarter when I set up this one. I'm several years older now. My brain has slowed down.

I'll be darned if I'm going to pay some guy at Staples $50.00 to set this thing up! I'd rather work myself into an absolute frenzy and do it myself.

Edited by Mrs. Muddled

Mrs Muddled,

Vista should pick up those drivers automatically, if it doesnt you can go to the makers website and download the drivers.

This is my recommendation:

Plug the scanner and printer into the new system, Vista has a lot more Drivers then XP and should automatically locate them. If it doesn't you can do a Windows Update through Vista and this will also usually pick up drivers.

Whew! That was encouraging news Zac.

Thanks!

So, what about this new computer I've got sitting here in the unopened box? Does it sound like a keeper?

Shall I go buy another stick of RAM and install it right away ... before the price goes way up? It apparently has one empty slot.

Mrs Muddled,

It sounds like a keeper to me. And as for the other question.

Extra RAM is always good, and if you have an extra slot its even better.

Just make sure you are getting the right RAM, Cause there are several types, there is the older SDRAM, then DDR, DDR2 and so on. You don't want to go out and buy the wrong RAM and find that you can't use it.

It sounds like you are going to have a ball playing with a new toy, just like a child a Christmas time. And remember, we are always here to help with advice and support anytime you need it :) Thats what families are for afterall :)

Shall I go buy another stick of RAM and install it right away ... before the price goes way up?

ht_p://www.4allmemory.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.memorySearch&model_id=66627&pid=475&gclid=CLz00vOG7JICFRFBFQodM2da5g

$28.99 for 1GB, sounds like a good choice to me.

I never thought about it not working with my scanner and printer. Sigh. Gawd, they make everything soooo complicated!!!

Above I gave you a link to MS which would have told you what software and hardware you currently have on your PC would be compatible. You can still run it. Its an online application that will check your equipment and give you a list of software or hardware that is NOT compatible. If your printer pops up on that list then you need to do a little more research and check the manufacturers website for Vista drivers. If its not on the list you have no worries.

$28.99!!! I just got back from Staples where I paid $66.78 for 1 GB of RAM for this new machine! What's with that? Surely prices in Canada can't be that much higher. I feel VERY ripped off!

Ok, but before you go make one stop by the Windows Upgrade site and check your hardware and software to make sure its compatable with Vista. You don't want to get home with your new PC and find out that your favorite program will not work. this will at least prepare you and you can decide if its a show stopper before hand.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...adeadvisor.mspx

I downloaded that program and everything appears ok ... except for my scanner. I have a Cano Scan lide 60. I'll have to find out if it will work with Vista.

Zac do I wait until I set up the new computer before I download that upgrade for Vista?

Hey, thanks a bunch for checking that out for me. :)

Mrs Muddled,

I would wait until you are on the new system until you download the driver, unless you have a USB Drive that you can place the driver onto before you start your new system.

If you need anymore advice don't hesitate to ask. :) Its a pleasure to help.