Need Aup Clarification On Subdomains

BanditWS6

Hi folks!

Brand new to the boards. Shortly I will be purchasing a new domain name, at which I intend to host a brand new personal website for myself. I already own one domain, but wish to convert it into something else. So I'm thinking of opening up an account here at TCH for my new domain.

Have a question though. I absolutely love everything I've read about TCH -- you certainly do seem to be the ultimate web host, and I've searched far and wide for more than three years for that very thing -- but when I read you don't allow subdomains to point at sites belonging to friends or family members, I got worried. It's not that I don't understand your wish to take those friends or family on as additional paying customers -- I simply have a very poor friend with absolutely nothing to his name, and for the last couple of years I've been allowing him to put his little personal web page on a subdomain of my primary domain name (at various other hosting companies).

Recently, I saw that Bill posted this thread which seemed to suggest (although did not state outright) that it would now be all right to erect a subdomain as a little area for a friend or relative, so long as it was used for a legal purpose. By "legal purpose", I presumed that to mean "non-criminal" in regards to state or federal law. My friend basically has a single-page website where he posts a bit about his life (or lack thereof, I'm sorry to say) once in a while. Curiously, I noticed that this again became a topic of debate approximately a week after the aforementioned policy change thread was posted, and no official, final resolution seemed to appear.

So, I guess I need a little official clarification from the TCH staff before I take any steps. To wit: Under the new subdomain policy, is it acceptable for me to allow my friend to put a couple of pages up so long as I maintain ultimate control over everything he does and take responsibility for it? The primary domain is simply a self-promotional website, presenting my resume and soforth, maybe some samples of my design work.

I believe I will still be opening a new account with TCH for my new domain name, but before I also consider moving my old domain (and my friend) here, I want to make sure I wouldn't be breaking any of the rules, new or old. If the subdomain use I've just described is still unacceptable, I will simply keep my old domain hosted elsewhere. And continue my efforts to find my friend a job. :blink:

Looking forward to hearing from you, and to opening my new account (possibly two) -- now I just have to figure out what domain name I'm gonna buy. :D

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

What you suggest would be a perfect use for a sub domain. What we would not allow is for you to point a seperate domain name to any other portion of your site including your subdomains. While we dont mind if your friend hosts on your sub-domain we would not allow another true domain name to point to any subfolder of your master domain.

I hope this clears things up for you.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the mega fast response! Yes indeed, that clears everything up perfectly. I checked out your AUP did some browsing of the forums and I understand, as you pointed out, that directing multiple domain names at different sub-directories is not allowed, and that's fine with me -- and as a result I intend to open two accounts, one for Domain A and another for Domain B. I simply wanted to make sure it would be okay if I gave my friend permission to put up a page or two on Domain B. :blink:

From what I can tell you've done a great job with this hosting company, everybody here on the forums is great (this is one of the best message board systems I've ever seen, BTW) and I noted very little evidence of any technical troubles. Just as soon as I can dream up a creative domain name, you'll have two new accounts coming your way. Thumbs Up

Thanks again for all the great work!

Thanks all! One thing (of many) that I love about TCH is the forums. I was really impressed when I saw the community here; it's really great. The host I'm with right now has a decent community too, but it feels very businessy, some people get adversarial over server issues and it's not the kind of place you would hang out in your spare time. These forums are totally different and I look forward to checking in often! Everybody here is really cool!

Rock Sign