Help Please...

hollycow

I have about 190GB of data on a file server. What has happened is over the years I have added folders and files and such to this file server. Fast forward till today.

I want to search the file server drive for all .jpg files and copy them over to 500gb USB drive. Problem is there are many duplicate file names in seperate folders. When I do a file search for all *.jpg and try to copy the found files over I am getting errors.

I am running Windows XP.

Any help would be great.

signed

Cow

I think i know his problem.

Say you have 500 folders on your hard drive. Your camera takes a photo called DMC001.jpg You place that photo in the /tuesday folder. The following week you take a photo and you camera names it DMC001.jpg and you place that folder in the /wednesday folder. Now you have two files with the same name located on the same hard drive but in different folders, hence his problem. When you search for *.jpg you will have a list of multiple files including duplicate file names. Now when you ctrl-a that list and attempt to copy it to another drive you are present with an generic windows error because it can not deal with the dup file names.

I would also like to solve this issue, however I have never really taken the time to look into it.

bill

Personally, I would just use the Windows variant of the Linux/Unix "rsync" command and selectively copy only the .JPG (or whatever files you wanted) to a new locale and retain the directory structure. After all - in some sense - who cares if the directory structure is mirrored?

That said, if you do care, you case still use the Window rsync solution, then use a batch renaming script on the resulting directory tree created by rsync that contains only the files of the type you have specified (in this case, .JPGs, or whatever).

(Edit to post: Whoops - above paragraph should say, in essence, that the batch renaming script would BOTH rename and move to a single directory - in other words, recursively act on the rsync mirrored directory then flatten that structure to a single directory and rename files as you go.... Sorry that was unclear in original version of this post.)

Pagoda

Edited by pagoda