Db For Wordpress Migration

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a reseller's account here at TCH and am in the process of moving all the sites that were on our soon to be old dedicated server to my resellers account. Going smoothly so far but I have a question about cpanel access before the domain name gets pointed to the reseller account.

I am trying to do a seamless transfer of a WordPress installation. The old server was a dedicated windows server that I had PHP and MySQL installed on and I had to install WordPress manually. So now I want to take a backup of the MySQL database on the old server and restore it to a database on the TCH account, hopefully install WordPress via Cpanel and have it read the newly restored database, make sure everything is working and then change the nameservers of the domain to point to TCH so that when the change happens the WordPress installation and content will be the same as on the old server. I dumped the database on the old server into a .sql file (text file with CREATE TABLE and INSERT INTO commands to recreate the database and data).

The road block I'm hitting is that I don't know how to access the new site's cpanel account because the domain name hasn't yet been pointed to TCH yet so domain.com/cpanel won't work. I have also tried to login to the new account I have created for the new WordPress installation cpanel using the whm/root login just switching domains once in my main account's cpanel, but get messages when both trying to install WordPress and using PHPmyadmin saying that I can't because I am logged in as root and need to login as that account. However not knowing any other way to access a site's cpanel other than domain.com/cpanel I'm not sure how to do it.

So is this possible? Or will I have to wait until the nameserver change takes place, and then access the cpanel of that site and hope it doesn't take me long so the site isn't down long?

You can simply login using yourresellerdomain.com/cpanel, but instead of using your reseller account login, use the new domain's login information to access it's control panel.

Hi Mike, thanks that worked like a charm. Any advice for restoring the WordPress part of it? Should I restore the database first or install WordPress and then restore the db?