Sign in to follow this  
Swift

Internet Connection Sharing And Access To Webcams

Not sure if this is in the right place, but here goes.

My Windows XP Home PC is connected to the Internet, via another Windows XP Home PC, using Internet Connection Sharing. I'm installing a web cam, on my PC. It'll be an addition to the web site, either as a customer service tool, or as something else interesting if I get it sorted out in time. I may have already run out of time with that plan, though.

The problem I've got is how to get access to the web cam from 'the world'.

I don't have a fixed IP address so I've tried using NO-IP to give me a domain name. I'm not really sure where that's leading.

Is there something I need to set up on the PC that's doing the actual connection?

Any tints and hips, anyone?

I never set up a web cam for live image streaming. I do use web cams and upload an images to the web server every 10 minutes though. Maybe someone else has an answer for you.

Few things here

1) no-ip wont give you a domain name(for free) persay, but they will issue a subdomain for free that you can link to your ip. Then you can install their program that updates your account with your ip automaticly for you.

2) Consider a router for your hispeed internet connection as ICS has its flaws. I prefer win2k or 2k3 with NAT (network address translation) for routing. But a router is better (easier to configure) and it wont require both computers on 24/7 for "the world" to get to your webcam.

3) After you figure out port fowarding you need port foward the ports for your webcams program

4) Go to a library or call a friend and test