Email Newsletter

ericwilmoth

Hola. I'm looking to set up an email newsletter. At this point Dada looks like like a decent way to go...and it sounds like as long as i set it to send my messages out in the proper batch allotments i wont be likely to set off any spam alerts or anything...but i figured i'd get a personal review from the folks here based on my personal needs.

Basically i have several hundred people on my mailing list at the moment and figure I'll be updating a couple times a month, minimum. I've only done a minimal amount of searching about alternative paying services...so i figure i'll do a bit more just to ensure i'm not overlooking some important features or complications i might have with using a free service like Dada...but ultimately i want to keep this as simple as possible for as long as i can, until it's demanding a real financial investment.

Currently my email list has been done through my Microsoft Outlook address book...

...if anyone can think of anything i might be unaware of that i should be considering in all of this i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

As long as you find a script that can send the emails within the limits set up you should have no problems. However be aware the sending unsolicited email to anyone can get you shut down. Make sure you follow the rules for sending, people must subscribe to your mailing list and you must provide a way for someone to unsubscribe and honor those requests.

As long as you find a script that can send the emails within the limits set up you should have no problems.

Hm. Are you talking about some script that's available through DADA (not sure if you use it or not) or some third party thing? (i still haven't implemented DADA yet.)

However be aware the sending unsolicited email to anyone can get you shut down. Make sure you follow the rules for sending, people must subscribe to your mailing list and you must provide a way for someone to unsubscribe and honor those requests.

It's been a while since i sent out anything, but most of the people in my address book either officially signed up to receive emails at special events or personally requested it. So far as i know DADA allows for subscribe/unsubscribe and i don't plan on mailing to anyone who wouldn't expect it...though i do have one issue with that. So much time has passed since i last sent a serious update (i'm talking a couple years, here) that i no longer have a popper subscriber list...just my address list. I figured for this first (new) update i'd have something like DADA in place, send out the message to everyone in my address book with a brief notice about the option of being removed if they don't want to be on the list.

I'm going to be spending today reviewing DADA and (i think) setting it up. If i recall it allows importing of existing address books, so presumable the few people in my address book not wanting to be part of things could go to my website and opt out. I'll definitely take one pass through my list to remove the obvious candidates who would not want to receive such a message, but there may be a some i would miss.

So that's my plan. How does that sound?

Edited by ericwilmoth

Dada mail is a script and yes, it can handle the sending limits set up on the TCH servers. You can request the limits from the help desk, we do not discuss them in the forums. I have not used Dada Mail but other members here have.

As long as people have a way to unsubscibe you should have no problems.

"Constant Contact" is a great provider of this kind of service, for a fee. Do a google search.

I also use authsmtp.com as my outgoing email server for my newsletters. They are inexpensive and great to work with -- they also, like TCH, work overtime making sure you don't get tagged as spam (as long as you truly are not sending spam).

Edited by jnull

"Constant Contact" is a great provider of this kind of service, for a fee. Do a google search.

I also use authsmtp.com as my outgoing email server for my newsletters. They are inexpensive and great to work with -- they also, like TCH, work overtime making sure you don't get tagged as spam (as long as you truly are not sending spam).

I've read a couple places that constant contact is prone to delivery problems due to spam filtering.

After Edit:

Can anyone here tell me anything about PHPlists in Fantasico? I barely comprehend php and don't work with it...but maybe this isn't painful...?

Edited by ericwilmoth

phplist should work fine for you. It's pretty easy to use, and you don't really need to know any php.

I would suggest once you have installed it, open a ticket at the help desk and let us know where you have installed it, and ask us to adjust the throttle to our server limits for you.

Actually, i already went ahead and set the throttle at XXXX seconds, which looks like it'll meet the two time requirements. I may go ahead and do a ticket anyway just to make it official that someone over there sees it and approves. Thanks for the suggestion.

Incidentally, i was surprised not to find any postings about PHPlists. After reviewing it i was very impressed. It appears to have the functionality of the premium pay services, but at no cost. How is it other TCH users aren't taking advantage of this?