Wordpress Not Linking Propperly

ericwilmoth

Hi. I'm having a killer issue with Wordpress. I'm a new user and have been playing around with various options and features for the last couple days just trying to figure it all out and suddenly I'm noticing that the sidebar links to my categories, pages and archives aren't targeting properly. they're all going to my error page and i have no clue why that would be. Can someone lend a hand?

If you have updated your .htaccess file with the code on the permalinks page you may need to add the following to the .htaccess file above those lines to make it work. I had to do this on one of my sites.

><IfModule mod_security.c>
SecFilterEngine Off
SecFilterScanPOST Off
</IfModule>

To upgrade the .htaccess file go into cPanel and open the File Manager. Select the .htaccess file in the "blog" folder, if there isn't one there create it. Then select it and choose to edit it. Copy and paste the contents of the .htaccess infor on the WordPress permalink dialog screen. Then save the file.

If there is one already there, it would be wise to make a copy of it before editing.

Sorry to double-post, but i solved the problem with your advice. What i couldn't figure out how to do was create an .htaccess file. in the end i just copied the one in my public directory and pasted it into the blog folder, then edited that. Now everything works. Thanks Bruce!

• 2 weeks later...

One last question on this...

...after entering the permalink data into the .htaccess file everything works just fine; i'm wondering...i left the info for the error document 404 in there below the permalink data--is there any reason this would ever cause a problem i'm not aware of, or is this perhaps the best way to go, having them both in there, just in case a post-link does somehow get broken in wordpress at some point?