Ftp Questions!

I rarely mess around with Ftp but needed to do poke around in the files so fired up SmartFTP and tried to access my dot on the server. It wouldn't connect.

I thought no big deal, I can do my poking from Cpanel but couldn't change permissions like I needed to (I read somewhere to "make a ticket" if one had that problem and I will if I can't figure FTP out). I snooped around in Cpanel and did find "FTP Accounts" and I'm listed as having an account. Now, finally to my question!

Do I need to use either Filezilla or Core FTP instead of SmartFTP or do I need to change something in SmartFTP because of the server move?

Thanks!

Weird. It wouldn't connect using the IP address but did using the Ftp Server name which includes my domain name.

I'm trying to edit a navigation link under the logo on my forum (IPB 2.2.1) and have changed the permission of the necessary file from 0666 to 0755 & 0777, edited the link in my admin panel and still can't get it to save so the link is changed on the board.

I get this msg:

cache/skin_cache/cacheid_8/skin_global.php not writeable - cannot cache to PHP file

Template bit(s) saved to database

I asked what I was doing wrong on one of the IPB support forums and was told to

Change you permissions to global_config,php to CHMOD 755 or 777.

Which is what I did. Is there anything else I should try or should I :clapping: to TCH support & send a ticket?