Sign in to follow this  
Swift

Two Routes To One Site

I've just transferred my site to a nice, shiny new hosting space with TCH.

Before I changed the DNS entries to point to TCH I used the machinename.hostname.com/~username route to gain access and copy everything across. I - perhaps foolishly - put a link on the old site to allow potential customers access to the new one while the DNS changes propagated. It seemed like a good idea at the time ...

I now have a situation where Googlebot (and possibly other spiders) has/have found the above route. They'll be back again, soon, via the proper (public) URL. My concern is that they'll see them as two seperate sites and penalise them for duplicate content.

My questions are:

a ) Do I have an impending problem, or will they ignore the apparent duplication (by IP address or some other mechanism)?

b ) If I have an impending problem what can I do about it?

Edited by Swift

On your account, I would add the following to your .htaccess

>RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^your_domain_name.com$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://your_domain_name/$1 [R,L]

Which basically says, if the person hitting your site is not using your_domain_name.com then it redirects to use that domain name.

( Of course you need to change your_domain_name.com to swiftbooks or whatever it is.