Sign in to follow this  
dpkyte

Email Question On Domain Transfers

I set up hosting on TC for a company not currently with TC, BUT am in process of transferring the domain, also building a new web site for them. When I set up the transfer I did not change the NameServers to point to TC... yet.... I will do so when I feel comfortable. Now, here is where the big questions lie.. They have some e-mail accounts with the domain.

Question 1 is... how will the e-mail accounts be effected, when will they be effected and what can I do to prevent any down time. I did create new e-mail accounts through CPAnel for the domain.

Question 2 is... is there a good area for discussions on how e-mail actually works? I know it has to do with some MX being pointed somewhere but what are MX records, and where should they be pointed.

Question 3 is... Can I controll when (like between 9 and 10pm) when the e-mail system will be transferred over?

Thanks, If there are issues, I just want to be able to fix them right away.

I'm sure others have had this question in the past.

Question 1 is... how will the e-mail accounts be effected, when will they be effected and what can I do to prevent any down time. I did create new e-mail accounts through CPAnel for the domain.

There will be no downtime. They will have to check both places for email for about a week using the IP numbers of the old server and new server. Once mail stops flowing to the old IP address you can switch it to use the domain name and remove the old IP check.

Question 2 is... is there a good area for discussions on how e-mail actually works? I know it has to do with some MX being pointed somewhere but what are MX records, and where should they be pointed.

MX = Mail Exchange and this is the correct forum to discuss mail issues. The problem you will encounter is not really a problem, I've changed hosts and servers a couple of times. The nameservers around the world need to update for email as well as the web site. Sometimes the mail lags behind the web site. Your MX record is tied to your domain unless you have the support desk manually change it to point somewhere else.

Question 3 is... Can I controll when (like between 9 and 10pm) when the e-mail system will be transferred over?

No, it doesn't work that way as exlained above.