How To Do This...?

phototrunk

I'm building a website for photo restorations and other photo-graphic-type services. I'm using Dreamweaver8. The site is pretty basic, displaying the various grades of photo restoration, photo colorization, photo-to-art, etc...

Here's where I need help with what I want to create:

A page where prospective clients can create an account and upload 1-5 or more photos to a unique folder (limit the size of the folder too) just for their unique account. When the client creates the account, I would be notified by e-mail of the new account and the uploads. From there, I would review the photos and via e-mail contact the prospective client with a quote for services.

Oh, and also, to have an automatic verification box where the visitor has to type into the little box what code they see displayed.

What do I need to learn in order to create these things?

Thank you very much!

Susie

Edited by phototrunk

Bruce, I think that's great news about possibly being able to achieve this without having to learn Java, but PHP instead. You've given me a lead to pursue! :) I honestly didn't know where to start with this.

Thomas, thank you for the warm welcome :). When I finally get this figured out, I promise to post back here with my results.

Susie

Susie,

Welcome to the forum. I am new to this forum also. You will fine the people very helpful.

If customers are going to upload photos and fill out forms, ensure you have strong, up to date virus protection. I was involved with my local soccer club website that allowed people to fill out forms and such, and they were hit with a virus that propagated to people's machines who accessed the site's form page. My virus protection protected my computer, but many people had problems. I am not too sure how it happened to the web site, but it did.

My hobby is photography so I look forward to seeing your web site when done.

Good luck.

Al

Uhoh... that is not good. The more that I'm learning, I'm learning that I need to learn something else more. :) So, now, my question regarding viruses with uploads is: if someone fills out a form and the form is e-mailed to me, I just need to be sure that my virus protection is in stealth mode, right? But, for allowing photos to be up-loaded to my site, doesn't the hosting site have anti-virus protection as well? I mean, I understand that if I download the files to my computer, I need to have my anti-virus software check it out first, but, if someone uploads a virus to my website folder, doesn't the hosting company's anti-virus software catch that? Or... hmm... Or does it sit undetected unless I were to open it while it was still on the server? If I ftp'd any uploaded files, directly to my home computer in a temp folder for my anti-virus software to check, and deleted the files from my web server, wouldn't that protect my website?

By the way, thanks for the 'welcome' Al.

Susie

Well now, if you are going allow people to upload content to your web space it is your responsibility to be be sure that it is safe content they are uploading. You can limit the types of files to be uploaded with the upload script (I would not recommend putting one up that does not check for at least file extensions and limit it to only image extension types). But even images can contain virus but the file would have to be opened for it to become apparent.