Importing Help?

signatures

wow, this frontpage section is dead. guess no one uses this program much anymore.

my question is..... i had to reinstall my xp lately and found another version of frontpage to use (2002) also. if i remember right i did my site with an earlier version, but anyway i have had a problem importing my site in the new program. it just does the home page, all the other pages don't show up. got any ideas for me? thanks, dave

well the help desk couldn't do much besides pretty much telling me to forget about frontpage.

so maybe i'm missing something from the start. i have a different copy (frontpage) installed, so how do i get my website to open in there?

is it just open file nothing shows there, or import which i only get home page? dave

I'm sorry but Microsoft doesn't even support FrontPage any longer. They have something that replaced it.

Only thing I know to tell you to do is to get an FTP client and download your website to your computer. You should then be able to open it with FrontPage. Make your changes and publish using FTP instead of using the FrontPage extensions.

Are you trying to open your site from the server or from your local computer?

If you want to open the site from the server, go to File -> Open Site. Then type your web site name without the www (i.e., http://yoursite.com). You should be prompted for your cpanel username and password. After you type your correct username and password, it should open the site with no trouble.

If you aren't seeing anything, but didn't get an error message, go to View -> Folder List and make sure it is selected. It may be that you are successfully opening your site and just don't realize it because you aren't seeing the list of files/folders.

PK

thanks PK, i'm getting closer. under file i have open or open web? when you say "open site" are you referring to web? i tried but am not getting the cpanel yet. when the dialog box opens i see "my webs" in the drop down box and then the bottom (folder name) is where i type my site? is that right? dave

thanks for responding pk.......when i go to "open web" dialog box has look in (pull down menu) up top and bottom is "folder name" i put my http in the bottom....... does the top section mean i have to have my website in a folder on my hard drive?

by the way TCH did run me through to use my file manager in cpanel to make changes. so that worked. never tried that way before. always used to just open frontpage and my domain name was there to open. guess it's been so long i forgot how it was set up. thanks, dave

You can use FrontPage to open sites from your local computer or from the web server using this same dialog box. The following instructions are for opening the site from the web server using FrontPage 2002 (and possibly earlier versions - I'm not certain).

1. Go to File -> Open Web.

2. In the Folder Name field, type the path to your site without the www (like http://yoursite.com).

3. Click Open.

4. Type your cpanel username and password when prompted.

5. Click OK.

If you aren't prompted for a username and password, you are probably getting an error message. If you tell me what this error message says, I may be able to help you figure out what the problem is.

BTW - If you want to copy your site to your local computer, you can open the site and then use FrontPage to publish the site to a folder on your hard drive. Then you'll use the Open Web dialog box to navigate to the local copy of your site in the future, and use Publish Web to publish changes back to the server.

PK

In the drop down that's labeled "Look in", what are your choices?

You are getting an error because it's looking for a folder on your computer with the URL you are entering. There should be be other options like the Web or Online or something in that drop down.

If you type a web site address in the Folder field, FrontPage completely ignores the "Look in" drop-down field. It does NOT matter what you select from the drop-down. (That's why I didn't mention that in my instructions.)

The problem seems to be with your site though. If you want to use FrontPage to manage the site, FrontPage Server Extensions need to be installed or re-installed from within cpanel. I tried this with your site using FrontPage from my computer to see if it prompted me for a username/password, and got the same error message as you did. If FPSE are correctly installed, FrontPage will immediately prompt for the cpanel username/password.

PK

You may want to try uninstalling them and then reinstalling them. Sometimes they get pretty messed up, usually after a server move or a restore from backup or something similar. It sometimes messes things up on your site though to uninstall and reinstall FPSE - if you use FrontPage navigation tools or FrontPage folder permissions you may need to check/fix those after reinstalling FPSE...

But at least you know the problem isn't anything you're doing wrong in FrontPage.

PK

thanks, maybe i will uninstall and then reinstall to see if it changes. i'm not using any folder permissions that i know of

at least i can access through cpanel.... so i'll try to use that for now and maybe it's time to rebuild a new site maybe using dreamweaver or similiar. thanks