Where To Install Joomla?

clayartisan

Here's my challenge:

I have to rework or rebuild a new website being moved to TCH. When the old files were uploaded, the internal referencing system (whatever it is-am not sure) quit working. The files are a conglomeration of php with nested javascript. I have no idea what was used to build this site initially, but suspect it was Dreamweaver because of _notes subdirectories with dwsyn.html files. Since it was built, another person worked with it and placed their own proprietary traffic tracking script in it.

This is the thing - the info in the old pages is old and needs to be updated and revised to a large degree anyway, plus it could stand a newer look. It would be NICE to be able to rework the current pages by importing it into a CMS software. I don't have, nor want, dreamweaver. If anyone has any suggestions on the CMS software to look at that may do this, please speak up.

I am, however, resolved to probably having to build a new structure from scratch, using a lot of cut and paste for the content. I am seriously considering Joomla, though I've never used this or any other CMS software. Up to now, I have just created quick hacks of html using Frontpage, then cleaning it up and pasting it where I need it, and have been maintaining and tweeking my Zencart for 3 years now. Which is why I want to be brave and go to something a little more sophisticated than a basic HTML system.

Questions: If you've used it as an almost-newbie to CMS, do you like it? When I install it on our website, should I try to install it in the root directory, or would it be okay to create its own subdirectory (Joomla) for it to reside? If I put it in the subdirectory, can I still place the created web pages under the root, or is it like zencart and it all starts at the subdirectory? I would like the main home page of the website to open immediately on arrival at the domain name, not have to put in a front door html page to be clicked or that redirects.

Thanks very much for all help!

If you are going to install Joomla with Fantastico it will only allow you to install into a folder within your root folder. Once you've done that and have built up the pages the way you want them you can download a home backup of your site and extract it. Zip up the content of the Joomla installed folder and extract it in your root folder. Then a few changes to set the paths and you should be good to go.

If you are going to install Joomla with Fantastico it will only allow you to install into a folder within your root folder. Once you've done that and have built up the pages the way you want them you can download a home backup of your site and extract it. Zip up the content of the Joomla installed folder and extract it in your root folder. Then a few changes to set the paths and you should be good to go.

Bruce, Thanks! That's pretty straight forward, I think. I've done similar with the zencart a few times, so it's just a matter of adjusting the config paths to the database, etc. Yay! Something I can understand. I've been looking at all of the fantastico offerings for this, and reading about them and my brain is fuzzy and tired. I just wanted something a little easier to work with and it gets almost more complicated trying to decide which one.

Yo answered excactly what I needed to know! Many thanks, kind person.

I don´t know if I have missunderstood Bruce´s reply but Joomla can be installed directly in public_html/root and not only within a directory/folder in public_html/root. When you install Joomla through Fantastico it will ask you where you want it installed, leave that field empty and it will install in public_html/root.

However by installing Joomla in its own folder with public_html/root you can modify it as much as you want before going live with the site (ie visitors only typing your-tch-domain.ext will not see it).

After that, then you can do as Bruce says and visitors will see your Joomla installation directly by typing your-tch-domain.ext and not something like your-tch-domain.ext/joomla.