Upgrading To Apache 2.2.x Anytime Soon?

clayartisan

I honestly did several searches on this subject and could find no recent threads addressing this subject. This question came up way back in 2003 and again in 2005.

In prep for moving my boss's website to TCH, where I've been for three years, I've been comparing her current Host to TCH. I noticed, in my cPanel for the server I'm on, that it is running Apache 1.3.39 and the "other guys" are running Apache 2. So, I did a little research, both the internet in general and on the TCH forums, and see that there was(is?) some thinking that Apache 2 was not considered stable - at least back in 2005 when this was last discussed in the forums (or at least the last mention I could find).

Other discussions (other places on the internet) seem to indicate that with the release of Apache 2.2.6, it can finally be considered stabelized. Now, I am certainly no expert (or even at beginner stage) at servers and/or a web host business, but have been been configuring personal computers for 20 years now. In my experience, it's not always wise to jump on the wagon and upgrade to the latest and greatest as soon as it's released, but to wait a bit for bugs to iron out. HOWEVER, there does come a time when one needs to recognize that the software they are running is so far out of date that it just can't take advantage of a lot of mainstream, current functions from the internet or other programs.

So, I can understand why TCH was saying no to the upgrade in 2003, and still hesitating in 2005, but it is almost 2008, and that makes version 1.3.X five years old. In the personal computer world, that is absolutely archaic. Does that hold true for the server software world as well or is it a different story?

I need to know that the website I am bringing over from the other host will work the same on TCH as the old location, at least to the general public and that the php pages built on the Apache 2.x server will not encounter problems in the Apache 1.3.39 environment.

Does anyone have any experience with this and what is the official stand of TCH on this issue, at this time?

I would be more concerned with matching the php and mysql versions more so than the apache version. And TCH has just upgraded php and mysql on all servers.

Right on, Bruce! Those were my first two concerns and I'm happy to report that TCH is ahead in versions of PHP and MySql compared to the other host, so that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for your thoughts!

So, I can understand why TCH was saying no to the upgrade in 2003, and still hesitating in 2005, but it is almost 2008, and that makes version 1.3.X five years old. In the personal computer world, that is absolutely archaic. Does that hold true for the server software world as well or is it a different story?

Apache 1.3.x may be 5 years old but 1.3.39 was released 3 months ago. The differences between Apache 1 and Apache 2 from an end user perspective are virtually non-existent, so anything that you have that runs in Apache 2 should work just fine in Apache 1.3.39, and vice-versa. As Bruce mentioned the PHP and MySQL environments are where your software and site will really care about differences.

Server software tends to have a much longer end-of-life then desktop software due to the much larger number of users using the installed software.

That all said, though, Apache 2 is now officially supported by cPanel (as of only within the last few months), and I imagine will be on the horizon for upgrades for TCH in the not too distant future once it's fully tested. TCH, for good reason, likes to take the safe conservative route of fully testing new environments before rolling them out onto it's large user base.

Actually, cPanel released the latest stage2 stable build on December 13th, which we are currently running. This is the first stable release of cPanel that supports Apache2 and we are currently reviewing this for our setup. We will be testing one server(yet to be determined) within the next 24 hours, once this is complete we will announce the upgrades for all our servers.

This upgrade will also include a move to PHP 5.2.5 as well as enabling support for PDO MySQL and SOAP.

Apache 1.3.x may be 5 years old but 1.3.39 was released 3 months ago. The differences between Apache 1 and Apache 2 from an end user perspective are virtually non-existent, so anything that you have that runs in Apache 2 should work just fine in Apache 1.3.39,

Well explained, Mike! Thank you very much! Shuda known I could trust TCH to make all the right choices. But it's never a good thing to get too complacent, or it can jump up and bite one on the bum.