Extracting Zipped Files

synthesys

I'm following the directions to upgrade my SMF. When I run the upgrade script it tells me:

+

The upgrader found some old or outdated files.

Please make certain you uploaded the new versions of all the files included in the package.

+

I extracted the zipped upgrade file into the existing SMF directory as instructed. My question is what happens when it extracts a file name that already exists? I need it to overwrite but it doesn't seem to give me any options.

It also tells me that the output has been truncated by the browser, so I can only see the first few dozen lines. Is there any way around this?

Is there any other reason SMF would be giving me this message? Probably a question for SMF.

George

How do you extract them, on your own computer then transferring them to the server, through cpanel or are you using SMF´s built in upgrader?

I was trying to extract by uploading the zip file and extracting on the server. Otherwise it's file by file through quite a few subdirectories. I don't think I'm familiar with SMFs built in upgrader.

George

If you are extracting a zip file on the server and a file included in the zip file already exists in the folder it will not overwrite the file with the one in the zip file.

Well that explains the response I'm getting. I'll just have to delete those files before extracting.

George

From the SMF website:

Upgrading SMF to the latest release is quite simple. If you are upgrading from a stable release you can likely do it straight from the package manager! If you are upgrading from one beta release it is as simple as uploading the needed files over the current ones. Stay up-to-date, and you should have no need to worry.

Doesn't seem like a difficult task doing it straight from the package manager.

But, if you have uploaded the zip archive you can open a ticket with the help desk and ask them to extract the file for you over writing all files in the forum directory. I would definately make sure I had a backup before proceeding.

From the SMF website:

Doesn't seem like a difficult task doing it straight from the package manager.

But, if you have uploaded the zip archive you can open a ticket with the help desk and ask them to extract the file for you over writing all files in the forum directory. I would definately make sure I had a backup before proceeding.

Thanks I'll probably do that.

Pardon my ignorance but what is the package manager? (It's been awhile)

George

Basically its a manager (found in the admin part of your SMF) in where you can download and install upgrades, add-ons and modifications easily.

From the documentation:

SMF has a package manager that can install modification packages through an easy to use, one click installation system. You can upload the mod package through the package manager and install and uninstall the mod whenever you want.