E-mail And Using My Account For Spam

Hi All

Over the last couple of months I have noticed when checking my mail that I have "Undeliverable" return messages in my inbox. I have not sent this mail and I am wondering if someone else is using my account for sending spam. If so how can I stop this???

Any help is appreciated as usual.

Lee

Hi Lee,

This is a common problem and there is nothing you can do to stop the spammers from "spoofing" your domain in email.

You can however stop the email from appearing in your inbox. In cpanel set the default email to :fail:. This will throw out all the undeliverable mail that is from invalid addresses from your domain.

Listen to Bob, he's right. Someone is spoofing your domain address and why you are receiving all the bounces. If you set your default email address to :fail: in cPanel it will stop most if not all of these from getting to you.

It's the price you have to pay for having your own domain name.

I'd like to point out (voice of experience) that if your domain is taken over by a spammer, usually through an insecure script, you'll also get these kinds of messages. Maybe someone who knows more about this than I do could suggest how to tell the difference, if possible.

Look at the headers of the returned email. You will most likely find they are from some obscure source. If in doubt open a ticket with the help desk and provide the headers of the email and the techs can confirm.

If it was script on your site generating the messages I'm sure TCH would have spotted it and informed you.