Upgrading Project Management Package

mycat2

Sorry if you see this twice...

I'm using dotproject.net v 2.0.4 and it does not work well with PHP5, I need to upgrade to the latest version with is 2.1. The problem is, I don't understand the instuctions they give to complete the upgrade - I'm not a programmer - that's the beauty of Fantastico! But the ugly side of Fantastico is that they seem to be far behind when it comes to offering the lastest version. So if I don't know what I'm doing, how do I go about upgrading? If I submit a help ticket will they install the lastest version for me - just like Fantastico?

See if this gets you going. Upgrading an Existing System.

BTW, the version in my Fantastico is 2.0.4 which isn't that old.

2.0.4 vs. version 2.1 to me means they are lagging behind a few months.

I did start at the page you reference but got stuck pretty much immediately. I do not have a config.php file it seems, there is one in the includes file but does nothing when I point the browser at it, there is no config.php file in the top level of my current dotproject directory on the server.

Then I get to this and get stumped:

3.3 Step One - Unpack the Files

Be aware that you are unpacking your dotProject files into a directory that already contains dotProject (and is, presumably totally backed up). File permissions may need to be resolved.

Remember that your existing config.php file must be left in your dotProject directory.

Well...what do they mean here? I downloaded the upgrade files to my hard drive, when they say unpack do they mean, unpack it on my hard drive then upload everything up on to my web server in a new directory, or upload it to the same directory and what config.php file are they talking about (there is no config.php file in the top level of the directory where the old version resides)? Why say unpack when they mean upload the already unpacked files or am I missing the point?

:)

Edited by mycat2

You should already have a config.php file on the server. They do not include one in the installation package. If they did it would over write the one you have which contains information on how to connect to the database the package uses.

Pointing your browser at the config.php file should not report anything. If it did others could find out your database name, user name and hack your site.

You can open a ticket with the help desk, link at top of page or in my signature and see if one of the techs can help you install the update.

2.0.4 vs. version 2.1 to me means they are lagging behind a few months.

Fantastico will only update a script that has been released as a stable or final version. While Fantastico versions do tend to be behind, in this case dotproject v2.1 has only been a final release for 3 weeks now.

Just something to keep in mind when looking at the versions in Fantastico.