How To Sort Categories Non-alphabetically?

searlaitm

Hello,

I'm tweaking my blog and have run into a problem. In the header, the categories sort themselves by name or rather alphabetically.

<ul>

<?php wp_list_categories('sort_column=name&exclude=55,56 ,57,58&title_li=&depth=1'); ?>

</ul>

I have been able to exclude the categories, which I don't want and happy that that works, but I can't understand what to do?

If I write ('sort_column=id&exclude=55,56,57,58&title_li=&dep th=1');

then my categories will still remain in alphabetical order AND one of the categories sometimes drops out.

I have consulted Wordpress Codex but I can't figure it out.

I did try to write ('include=1,2,3,4&exclude=55,56,57,58&title_li=&de pth=1');

but that hasn't worked either.

I have been recommended to using a '$mylist=news,environment,arctic' but I can't find a "$mylist " code in my header.

So does anyone have any idea how sort the categories so that they do not get ordered alphabetically?

/C

The template tag wp_list_categories() is a fairly recent function, one that's intended to replace the older wp_list_cats(). Both functions work in a very similar way. One problem I can see is that you're using arguments intended for wp_list_cats() with wp_list_categories() instead.

To sort by id with wp_list_cats:

><?php wp_list_cats('sort_column=id'); ?>

To sort by id with wp_list_categories:

><?php wp_list_categories('orderby=id'); ?>

What's that `depth=1` argument you're using? I can't find any documentation on that for either function. What's your intended effect? A flat list, instead of nests for subcategories?

The template tag wp_list_categories() is a fairly recent function, one that's intended to replace the older wp_list_cats(). Both functions work in a very similar way. One problem I can see is that you're using arguments intended for wp_list_cats() with wp_list_categories() instead.

To sort by id with wp_list_cats:

><?php wp_list_cats('sort_column=id'); ?>

To sort by id with wp_list_categories:

What's that `depth=1` argument you're using? I can't find any documentation on that for either function. What's your intended effect? A flat list, instead of nests for subcategories?

I have tried

but for some weird reason they haven't changed, might be my cache though????

I'll go ahead and try once more.

You're absolutely correct, it's a flat list, though I'll admit that this theme was purchased and I'm learning by doing and tweaking, rather than composing it myself. :sleepy: I did remove it at first and IMHO it looks a whole lot better being flat-listed.

Edited by searlaitm

Looking at what you have in your first post, it seems like something like...

><?php wp_list_categories('orderby=id&exclude=55,56,57,58&title_li=&hierarchical=0'); ?>

...would generate what you're looking for. Order by ID, exclude the specified categories, no heading or outer list item, no nested lists for subcategories.