Update My Own Server From Php4 To Php5

jhollin1138

Now that the TCH's servers I am hosting my accounts on have both been updated, I need to update my own Windows 2003 server to PHP5 from PHP4. This is the server I have at work for file storage and hosting a few web based applications, so I need to avoid downtime if possible. I am trying to find the best method or procedure possible to do this update. I found this procedure on another website.

h**p://www.geekpedia.com/tutorial88_How-to-upgrade-from-PHP-4.x-to-PHP-5.x-on-Windows.html

But since it involves uninstalling PHP4 I am weary of trying it in case it doesn't work. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments to get me going?

I guess on a side note, instead of creating another thread I need to update MySQL to v5 also, any suggestions or comments about that too?

Since the tutorial you've linked to refers to IIS, I'll assume that's what you're running.

You should be able to download the zip package for the latest PHP5 version and extract it to a separate folder. Once you do this, you can change the Application/Extension Mapping to use the PHP5 version.

It also appears you may be able to make a copy of the site and change the copy to use the PHP5 executable. This may help in transitioning to the new version while not breaking the old one.

With MySQL 4 & 5, I've never tried running them side by side. I'd be interested in knowing how myself if anyone has gotten both to run concurrently.

You should be able to download the zip package for the latest PHP5 version and extract it to a separate folder. Once you do this, you can change the Application/Extension Mapping to use the PHP5 version.

It also appears you may be able to make a copy of the site and change the copy to use the PHP5 executable. This may help in transitioning to the new version while not breaking the old one.

That is what I thought too. After I make the necessary changes and restart IIS, I can't get any php pages to load until I change everything back to point to php4. Any ideas on what I am missing? Is there something else that could be pointing to php4?